D&D 5E magic items for druid?

Bayonet

First Post
Hive Shield; Once per long rest, as a reaction to an attack, Druid can use Hive shield to release a swarm of insects which attack his enemy.

Staff of Spike Growth; As an action, thumping the staff on the ground casts Spike Growth centered on the Druid. Druid is unaffected by spikes.

juggerulez

First Post
Hive Shield; Once per long rest, as a reaction to an attack, Druid can use Hive shield to release a swarm of insects which attack his enemy.

Staff of Spike Growth; As an action, thumping the staff on the ground casts Spike Growth centered on the Druid. Druid is unaffected by spikes.

i'm sorry, i was under the impression we were speaking about moon druids only.
well these two items could prove interesting to those who look for flavour items, but there is no substantial counterpart to other assets that a druid could use. For instance, there are items that boost class features (e.g. channel divinity or barbarian rage) but i fail to spot any for the moon druid entirely. perhaps am i mistaken?

i really can't speak about land ones, because i don't play one and i don't think there is much of a difference between them and any other "plain" casters. :D

fuindordm

Adventurer
From my campaign:

"Laughing Moon", a +0 magic sickle with the versatile property (long hilt). It does +1d6 damage to shapeshifters (intended for weres but also applies to druids) and on a critical hit triggers Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Shapeshifters have disadvantage on the save.

Rings don't work in wild shape? They used to in 3e and PF I believe. You really need to shore up that low AC in bear form.

Druids have shield proficiency, right? Maybe one of those floating shields, that should still keep hovering around you after you shift into beast form.

If you can use a ring of protection, even if the rest of the group wants it (me wannnts it), ask the DM for one that works while wild shaped. Low AC is the beasts' biggest flaw.

I think the low AC of most creature forms is a balance to all of the HP the druid has access to. At low levels, the moon druid is way overly powerful. Once the mid levels are reached, the power becomes more in line with the rest of the party. Adding combat magic items to shifted druids is simply a path to keeping them over powered at higher levels instead of the leveling off that was built into the class.

juggerulez

First Post
well the best assets a moon druid could wish for are those which fix her flaws:
- the lack of proper AC, especially while acting as the "bait" for the encounters' punishment, which isn't even *that* bad if your DM goes for the easiest target to hit rather than the most dangerous.
- a proper way to soak up damage, which is not your temporary hp pool, rather than growing some sort of resistance to damage, because if every foe is targeting you, your 40hp in bear form will endure it only to a certain extent.
- a proper way to contribute to the damage and/or utility output, which can be easily done by concentration spells, but you'll need at least the War Caster feat, if not Resilient(Con) too (which sticks to the shaped form), thus if your DM doesn't allow feats, could be an issue.

let's speculate a bit:
- an item that while shifted provides the same benefit as the barkskin spell (i.e. your AC can't never go below 16)
as uncommon: an armor that shapeshift in a barding while you're in animal form
as rare: as uncommon and also becomes of the same element of your elemental form (i.e. a water elemental with veins of slightly darker water to cover a proper amount of your body)
(could solve two issues with a single item: you have a barkskin, while shifted, and allows you to concentrate on another spell since you don't need to cast barkskin yourself, so you can be decently protected while still being able to fill your utility quota)

- an item that gives you [(1 time per short or long rest) or (3 per long rest)] the ability to gain:
as uncommon: resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
as rare: resistance to all source of damage but psychic (bear totem rage anyone? :v )
as very rare: +5/adv to resist conditions, all resistances but psychic.
(not sure at what level you should be able to find very rare items, i'm assuming level 15+ tho)

- an item that gives you a +5/adv on concentration spell checks and/or the ability to sacrifice one of your actions (as bonus, standard or movement) in order to sustain an effect as if you were concentrating on it, to whom the concentration rules still apply (so you need to do both concentration checks if hit).
(the second part is to provide usefulness in settings where feats are in play as well as to upscale the item rarity, i.e. as uncommon it would provide only the former or the latter benefits while as rare would provide both)

are these too extreme, in your opinion? :)

consider that not all DMs allow feats and MC
consider that not all DMs allow the "wishlist" thus you would have a very little chance to get any of these
consider that not all DMs allow the attunement of more than one class specific magic item

I think the low AC of most creature forms is a balance to all of the HP the druid has access to. At low levels, the moon druid is way overly powerful. Once the mid levels are reached, the power becomes more in line with the rest of the party. Adding combat magic items to shifted druids is simply a path to keeping them over powered at higher levels instead of the leveling off that was built into the class.

at second level, yes, i couldn't agree more with you, but from the 3rd one you can feel that things are balanced already, then you reach level 5th and things get odd: while your martial classes dish extra attacks and your casters get access to level 3rd spells, your bear is still a bear. you gain access to level 3rd spells as well, which is sweet of course, but there is nothing there to help you pull a better performance as the first line of defence nor as damage dealer (which you are not meant to be for starters).
Also one could argue that you need to have seen the higher level animals before being able to shift into them, so good bye giant elk and polar bear (unless you manage somehow to conjure them ;D )

because if every foe is targeting you, your 40hp in bear form will endure it only to a certain extent.

At the levels at which wild shape becomes less impressive, targeting the wild shaped druid is probably not something smart opponents will do. Why waste your attacks on an animal with (by that point) unimpressive attacks, when there are real threats you could target? That applies (for slightly different reasons) regardless of how much the foes know about a druid's capabilities.

juggerulez

First Post
At the levels at which wild shape becomes less impressive, targeting the wild shaped druid is probably not something smart opponents will do. Why waste your attacks on an animal with (by that point) unimpressive attacks, when there are real threats you could target? That applies (for slightly different reasons) regardless of how much the foes know about a druid's capabilities.
That's mostly up to the DM. if we're speaking about non intelligent beings, such as most animals and monstrosities, the "fairest" way to act is to hit the easier target, or the most desirable (bear flanks! om nom nom nom!) thus if one has to choose between a 5ft away ac 16 succulent bear, a 30ft away ac16 wizard, or a 5ft away ac 18 fighter, the creature should go for the bear.
The bear itself should be able to pull his weight tho, which means abusing the sentinel feat and/or controlling/utility spells. If the druid doesn't have a clue, then, it's up to the damage dealer(s) to know how to appear "less interesting" or less worrisome, but...

...now that you mention it, i should check if there is a goading item that can prove useful to a shaped druid as well (i.e. not requiring hands nor command words)...
...an item with a recharge, to make things interesting...

at the start of the owner's turn make a recharge check, if positive, choose any hostile creature that can see or sense the owner:
uncommon recharge 4-5-6: goad on single target in a 30ft radius
rare recharge 4-5-6: goad on up to 3 different targets in a 30ft radius
very rare recharge 4-5-6: goad on any creature able to feel threatened by the druid in a 30ft radius

goad: the target has -5/Disadvantage to hit any hostile creature but the owner of the item

alternatively you can remove the recharge and put a wisdom ST to deny the effect.

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Hey thanks for the feedback, i thought this thread died a long time ago, i will link these to my dm to have a look at.

My dm allows all feats, and we use corebooks only. And my druid already has resilient con and warcaster feats, probably upping my wis next

Last edited:

Remove ads