• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items Found vs Wants

jgsugden

Legend
In my game there is a well known text called Librum Magicum. In it is every monster in the MM, every magic item in the DMG, and every spell in the PHB. Accordingly, if it is in these books, and a PC has any training with spells or any intelligence skill, they have been assumed to have read it. Most copies of the book have been handed down over generations and contain notes on additional creatures, spells an items not in the original text.

If a PC wants to seek out a copy of an item from the book, they can do so. If they want to hire someone to make a new item, they can do so. If they want to make an item, they can do so. It is all part of the story.

I've run games with this approach for decades - and it hasa always worked well.

I like to give custom items for the character's signature item - if a fighter wants to specialize in greataxes, I'll make sure there are magic greataxes available. They may be drops, but for this it's more likely to be a gift form a powerful patron of some kind.

After that, I go random.

uh... are hand crossbows way more lethal in later editions or something? In 1E/2E, they weren't much, and making a +2 version wouldn't disrupt a campaign at all. in 2E, they did a whopping 1-3/1-2 damage and could fire once per round.
In 5e, they have a special feat just for them that can make them the best ranged weapon in the game. (It grants an additional attack).

Zardnaar

Legend
uh... are hand crossbows way more lethal in later editions or something? In 1E/2E, they weren't much, and making a +2 version wouldn't disrupt a campaign at all. in 2E, they did a whopping 1-3/1-2 damage and could fire once per round.

It's the way a +2 handcrossbow works with sharpshooter, Xbow expert and archery style. A holy avenger is less disruptive than that combo.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The fiction should support whether a magic item is available or found.

That's how I do it.

My home game's world is in its "Early Renaissance Era".

In an ancient tomb dungeon, you'll find magic spears, helms, shields and the old magic bronze sword.
In a wizard's tower, you'll find assorted "wondrous items" and maybe an enchanted dagger or two.
Magic swords would be where magic swordsmen wuld have retired or died: monster lairs, ruined castles, and cursed battlefields.

If you want a particular magic item, you'll have to go where it should be.

Ok, I know I'm still pretty new to 5E.

I'm reading some repeats of what I've heard in the local shop. So I'm going to ask for some clarifications of some of this.

Why is a Rod Of Lordly Might less 'disruptive' than a +2 weapon?
Why is a +1 shield more of a problem than a +1 armor?
Why is a +1 hand crossbow more of a problem than a +1 keen shortsword?
Why is a cloak that boosts AC acceptable but a +1 armor is not?

Granted (as I said) don't have a lot of history with this version of the game. But I've been playing through some mock combats. A +1 anything doesn't usually all that much difference, except at very low (1-3) levels. And it doesn't seem to be much different whichever item it is.

Unless the target's build is almost exclusively focused on defense, most weapon or spell attacks will hit.
If a spell uses a prof save, the target will usually make it.
If a spell uses a non-prof save, the target will probably fail.

I just don't get the 'this' +1 is perfectly, but OMG 'that' +1 is the end of the game.

A rod of lordly might is just better than a +2 weapon, I have no idea what that was about. A simple +2 greataxe doesn't require attunement, which can be an issue, but isn't nearly as good.

+X Shields do two things: they stack with magic armor (allowing really high AC's), and they make sword-and-board builds a lot better than builds with both hands on weapons. I can see the issue here, unless you only allow a few magic items anyways. Once you have a magic shield, switching away form using it is almost never a good idea, even if you get a much more powerful magic weapon.

Hand crossbows benefit from the Crossbow Expert feat, which gives them an additional attack - meaning they're 50% more effective than other ranged options - or melee options that aren't polearms. It's a weird side effect of how the feats are written. (Of course, in a world where hand crossbows are the best ranged weapons, you'd see a lot more magic hand crossbows being made than any other ranged weapon.)

+1 armor does not require attunement, all +AC items that aren't armor (or shields) do require attunement. I'm not sure I agree with this logic, but if players have access to a lot of magic items and start stacking AC things can get out of hand.

Zardnaar

Legend
A rod of lordly might is just better than a +2 weapon, I have no idea what that was about. A simple +2 greataxe doesn't require attunement, which can be an issue, but isn't nearly as good.

+X Shields do two things: they stack with magic armor (allowing really high AC's), and they make sword-and-board builds a lot better than builds with both hands on weapons. I can see the issue here, unless you only allow a few magic items anyways. Once you have a magic shield, switching away form using it is almost never a good idea, even if you get a much more powerful magic weapon.

Hand crossbows benefit from the Crossbow Expert feat, which gives them an additional attack - meaning they're 50% more effective than other ranged options - or melee options that aren't polearms. It's a weird side effect of how the feats are written. (Of course, in a world where hand crossbows are the best ranged weapons, you'd see a lot more magic hand crossbows being made than any other ranged weapon.)

+1 armor does not require attunement, all +AC items that aren't armor (or shields) do require attunement. I'm not sure I agree with this logic, but if players have access to a lot of magic items and start stacking AC things can get out of hand.

+2 hand crossbows, polearms, great weapons and bows are gonna be worse than the rod IMHO.

Remove ads