• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items Found vs Wants

Same here.

I generally feature finding magic items from treasure (random or adventure-driven) first and foremost.

Secondarily I also allow the PC crafting magic items, although it hasn't happened yet in 5e. I do not like this to be a generally available option, so if the rules don't require specific abilities (as in 3e), I am going to still keep it under check for example keeping a tight control on material ingredients.

What I generally do not like is a-la carte magic item shops, so buying magic items is possible but works almost as a combination of finding+crafting, in the sense that you either find random magic items for purchase, or you commission their crafting to someone else. You just can't walk into the next village with a shopping list and buy what you want in no time.

I allow the crafting of magical items, but only during downtime and we only get one 10-day's worth of that after each adventure -- and it may not all be spent in one chunk. At some point, the characters may get high enough of a level that they can cart around a workshop wagon with them -- in which case we'll have to talk about how many adventuring evenings equals one downtime day as far as the workload goes. Plus, they will still need to have the materials on them.

As the DM:
  • Plot specific items are intentionally placed.
  • NPC/Monster gear is chosen to support their needs. My NPCs/monsters USE their items. If a player can make use of one of those items? Good for them. If it's not something on their Christmas list? Oh well.
  • Non-plot items found as treasure (those not being directly used by the NPC/Monster atm) are rolled randomly or simply chosen by me because I think they'll add to the game. They represent things the NPC/monster found valuable. Once again, if the characters can use something? Good for them....
  • If the characters want something specific? Well then, they'll have to make specific efforts to acquire it.

I do not intervene in how the party chooses to divide loot. That's for them to decide. Me? I've done my job by including the loot in the 1st place.

As a player:
  • I tend to use what I find.
  • If I want something specific? I will make specific efforts to acquire it.

I don't intervene either. I may be intentionally dropping items from their wish lists in the loot piles when and where it makes sense, but I am not telling them about it. If they don't realize a certain item was geared toward them, it's their problem, not mine.

atanakar

Hero
Players get what they find during missions. I never roll random. Items are extremely rare.

Also, because the characters are nobles they can «unlock» family owned magical items after accomplishing missions to protect the barony. These items are secret and they PCs have no knowledge of them until they receive them. The items will reveal new hidden properties as the PCs gain higher levels.

Ganders

Explorer
For most treasures I do not customize -- random or plot-relevant stuff.

However, if they would like specific items, I make sure they can hear rumors of where those might be, or of someone able to craft one. Quite often, it is a story of some other hero, or some infamous villain, using the item to good effect (the party aren't the only adventurers in the world, nor even the most famous). Many of the rumors are about items they aren't interested in though... so they ignore more rumors than they follow.

Tracking down the rumors, fighting their way to the location, and defeating whoever has it can be quite a quest in itself. Knowing what treasure the big bad will have in advance can be quite a compelling incentive to take on the quest, as opposed to rolling randomly at the end to see what's in the treasure. Ideally, the characters will all help each other to acquire the items they want/need, in between the more important quests to save the world.

the Jester

Legend
I have massively expanded random magic item tables that include my conversions of hundreds and hundreds of old magic items, as well as homebrewed items, as well as the stuff in the DMG and XGtE. I almost always determine treasure randomly- I've also created "treasure types" for (most) of the monsters in 5e (including thousands that I have converted or homebrewed). So clever players can figure out what kinds of monsters typically have better treasure and try to avoid needless encounters with those that don't.

I generally grant magic items based on random determination or what’s in a module.

I also have a few magic shops with mostly weaker or less interesting to parties items, including what other parties in my games have sold off. The FMCG’s (fast moving consumer goods) they nearly always keep in stock are Potions of Cure Light Wounds and Scrolls of Fireball. (I’m running 3.5e, which has essentially the same magic items as all editions up to 3.5 & PF1.)

And I have one high level wizard who teleports all around the world’s , trading magic items. If you are lucky enough to meet him, and you have a cleric who can cast Sending (4th level spell so 7th level in 3.5e), you can message him and buy just about any magic item, if he has time to go find it, and you’ve got the money.

Remove ads