D&D 5E magic items prices

Gecko85

Explorer
And immediately put Potions of Healing and Holy Water on the Adventuring Gear list in the PHB. :lol:

They then handed Potions of Healing out like candy in LMoP along with a half dozen or more other magic items.
Yes, and adventurers had to find those magic items, not walk into Magic R Us.

And nowhere did WotC say there are no magic items (including Potions of Healing). They said:

Magic items are gleaned from the hoards of conquered monsters or discovered in long-lost-vaults...Each magic item has a rarity: common, uncommon, rare, very rare, or legendary. Common magic items, such as a potion of healing, are the most plentiful...Unless you decide your campaign works otherwise, most magic items are so rare that they aren't available for purchase. Common items, such as a potion of healing, can be procured from an alchemist, herbalist, or spellcaster.

The game might mechanically be playable, but I suspect that most players enjoy campaigns with magic items more than they do campaigns without...
So you think the game might mechanically be playable. I guess we can tell people they can go ahead and buy the books then. :/
But again, nowhere does WotC say there are no magic items. Please pick a different straw man.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yes, and adventurers had to find those magic items, not walk into Magic R Us.

And nowhere did WotC say there are no magic items (including Potions of Healing). They said:

So you think the game might mechanically be playable. I guess we can tell people they can go ahead and buy the books then. :/
But again, nowhere does WotC say there are no magic items. Please pick a different straw man.

Stay with the tangent and pay attention to the paragraphs being replied to. That side topic had nothing to do with finding magic items vs. buying them, or WotC claiming that people should play with no magic items. It's amusing when people call something a strawman by making their own strawman.

Zaran

Adventurer
WotC has pretty much said from the beginning of 5e that default gameplay is balanced around no magic items. If you want to recreate the 3e/4e eberron feel and have your characters with lots of combat affecting items you'll have to consider them higher level for the purpose of what monsters they can take on. That could have the side effect of leveling the characters faster though. So it's probably a good idea to reduce the XP rewards from the creatures.

They have said that it players do not need magical items to keep up with the math. There are many monsters that are resistant to non-magical weapons though. Also there is the fact that part of the fun of D&D is getting new magical items. There is going to be a time when players want to spend their money on magic whether it's to fight a powerful enemy or just because they have a lot of it and haven't gotten something they have been itching for. Pointing out that the game is balanced so I don't ever need to get a Staff of the Magi doesn't mean my wizard doesn't want one. Should he be able to just buy one? No. There isn't a wizard alive who would give one of those up. Something like that should be something I can make in a reasonable amount of time though.

Remove ads