D&D 5E Magic missile as a cantrip

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I feel Shield is way too powerful. And if always-on, super powerful.

On the other hand, Mage Armor might work as a cantrip. It would be a must-have, and on the potent side. But ultimately, it is equivalent a proficiency with medium armor. Maybe two cantrips.
Note that I changed it from +5 to +2, and from lasting through the round to only functioning against the triggering attack.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Eh, I still don't see a magic missile cantrip as a must have cantrip. Maybe for sorcerers with quicken spell, but it's still lower damage and no rider for an auto hit. But that shield cantrip is a pretty powerful cantrip. A free reaction for +2 to AC is far more disruptive to the bounded accuracy of 5e than an action that deals guaranteed 2.5 damage per tier
Keep in mind, with the way I worded it, it only works against one attack per round at most, and uses up your reaction. It should be less disruptive to bounded accuracy than an actual shield.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Keep in mind, with the way I worded it, it only works against one attack per round at most, and uses up your reaction. It should be less disruptive to bounded accuracy than an actual shield.

Changing it to +2 and only the triggering attack makes it exactly half of the War Mage tradition’s 2nd level ability. Except that ability limits you to only casting Cantrips until the end of your next turn when you use it.

This is one of the main reasons NOT to change magic missile.

It has so many ripple effects. 5e balanced MM as a 1st level iconic spell.

If that changes, then al the things (like shield and such) have to be gone over as well.

Wizards only start the game with 3 cantrips also.

If you make magic missile and shield cantrips, many/most wizards now have 2 of their first 3 cantrips pre-selected.

Seems unnecessary to me.

OldeTalamar

Villager
Mage or Sorcerer cantrips
Minor Magic Missile -type evoction
Range 60 feet target one creature casting time 1 action duration instantly
Does 1d4 force damage damages increase to 2d4 at 5th level so on so forth. Can be blocked by a Shield spell that blocks magic missile or Minor Shield
Minor Shield
Type abjuration target self casting time 1 action duration 1 minute concentration
Effect plus 2 to AC also can block Minor Magic Missiles does not stack with level 1 Shield spell. If you cast Shield while Minor Shield is on your bonus to AC is based of the Shield spell not the Minor Shield

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
You generally hit closed to 60 or 70% in 5e, so the DPR is fine.

The range, force damage, and targeting separate creatures are things other cantrips don't deliver.

And the auto hit vs much higher AC targets makes a difference.

You might consider language to the effect that the damage is not a 'hit.'

Also, since Shield is the traditional counter to Magic Missile, you might extend that spells immunity to them to the rest or the encounter.

OldeTalamar

Villager
As I said target 1 creature range 60 can be blocked by Shield or Minor Shield or even force resistance spell effects aka leomonds hut comes to mind. If a mid to high lvl spell caster loses to a DC 10 con check well played.... Not over powered at all.

OldeTalamar

Villager
A clan of goblins with wands of minor missles with limited 1 time use charges so PC's can't overstock on em make em race based to use. Soften up those players for the real baddies whatever you give your players you can use too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases