D&D 5E Magic missile as a cantrip

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think it's fine as you've designed it (though I think that 60' range is important - 120' is too much). 1d4 is fine. I don't think it's overpowered or in any way a must-have spell.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
One thing that @Yaarel mentioned about 100 wizards makes me think of something else to consider beyond the mechanics. What impact would this cantrip have on the world? For example, in a game world like Eberron, a cantrip like this would likely have been used by every soldier unskilled in archery, since a cantrip wand would be far easier to mass produce than a 1st level wand. And when something is that prevalent, especially in a war, some defense would be developed. Maybe a version of mage armor that would be immune to the cantrip, or grant resistance to force damage. In fact, resistance to force damage is such a niche aspect that I think it could just be added to the existing mage armor spell without any other changes. I don't know. Using logic to extend how the cantrip might impact the greater game world seems like an interesting exercise. Additionally, if there is some pressure to have such a cantrip/spell, then there would be greater incentive and resources expended in that world to make it happen.

Yaarel

He Mage
One thing that @Yaarel mentioned about 100 wizards makes me think of something else to consider beyond the mechanics. What impact would this cantrip have on the world? For example, in a game world like Eberron, a cantrip like this would likely have been used by every soldier unskilled in archery, since a cantrip wand would be far easier to mass produce than a 1st level wand. And when something is that prevalent, especially in a war, some defense would be developed. Maybe a version of mage armor that would be immune to the cantrip, or grant resistance to force damage. In fact, resistance to force damage is such a niche aspect that I think it could just be added to the existing mage armor spell without any other changes. I don't know. Using logic to extend how the cantrip might impact the greater game world seems like an interesting exercise. Additionally, if there is some pressure to have such a cantrip/spell, then there would be greater incentive and resources expended in that world to make it happen.

I agree, an always-on cantrip has setting implications.

Note, a cantrip is a powerful spell.

A cantrip is a special category of spell. Because it is always-on, it is equivalent to a slot-1 or slot-2 spell in potency.

For example, a cantrip is roughly equal to a proficiency with a martial weapon. If a Wizard exchanges a cantrip for proficiency with a longsword or longbow, it would be a fair swap. Likewise, a Wizard could swap a cantrip for light armor proficiency, or perhaps two cantrips for an always-on Mage Armor spell. Viceversa, a Fighter could figure out a way to swap a proficiency for a cantrip.

There are many official spells that deserve to be a zero-level spell in the sense that they are less useful. For example, Detect Poison is really a Medicine skill check. This could easily be in a zero-level slot, and cast and expended like a normal spell slot. By contrast, a cantrip is something different.

A cantrip is really a proficiency.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Make Shield a cantrip too.

Shield
Abjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 reaction*
Range: Self
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard

An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. You have a +2 bonus to AC against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

* - which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

Of course, then you have two must-have cantrips.

Yaarel

He Mage
Make Shield a cantrip too.

Shield
Abjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 reaction*
Range: Self
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard

An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. You have a +2 bonus to AC against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

* - which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

Of course, then you have two must-have cantrips.

I feel Shield is way too powerful. And if always-on, super powerful.

On the other hand, Mage Armor might work as a cantrip. It would be a must-have, and on the potent side. But ultimately, it is equivalent a proficiency with medium armor. Maybe two cantrips.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe a Magic Missile cantrip can be counterspelled (negated) reactively by someone else who knows Magic Missile. This still leaves martial classes at a disadvantage however.

Staffan

Legend
My only concern is potential abuse, like a Wizard School with a 100 apprentices all focus-firing to eliminate one target after an other.
That's not a big change from how things are now. Unless you have an AC in the 20s, you get the same effect with chill touch or firebolt. Or, heck, a bunch of goons with crossbows.

Yaarel

He Mage
That's not a big change from how things are now. Unless you have an AC in the 20s, you get the same effect with chill touch or firebolt. Or, heck, a bunch of goons with crossbows.
Sure, but the autohit makes the Magic Missile firefocus a fairly invincible tactic.

Reducing the range to 30, might help the reduce the number of possible attackers. And at least give a Fighter a chance to reach some of them.

Staffan

Legend
One thing that @Yaarel mentioned about 100 wizards makes me think of something else to consider beyond the mechanics. What impact would this cantrip have on the world? For example, in a game world like Eberron, a cantrip like this would likely have been used by every soldier unskilled in archery, since a cantrip wand would be far easier to mass produce than a 1st level wand.
Canonically, the Five Nations fielded units of Arcaneers (often known as Wandslingers) in the Last War. They would usually know two or more cantrips and one 1/day 1st-level spell (the equivalent of the Magic Initiate feat), and they would use some form of arcane focus for their spells. Note that these are cantrips the soldier in question knows and uses a tool to cast, not a magic item handed out to unskilled people.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Canonically, the Five Nations fielded units of Arcaneers (often known as Wandslingers) in the Last War. They would usually know two or more cantrips and one 1/day 1st-level spell (the equivalent of the Magic Initiate feat), and they would use some form of arcane focus for their spells. Note that these are cantrips the soldier in question knows and uses a tool to cast, not a magic item handed out to unskilled people.

Sure, there likely were tactical units of such people. But while use of magic is relatively common in Eberron, it is still not a practice that just anyone can pick up. Units of wandslingers were likely a fraction of the total military of any given nation. House Cannith in particular and patriotic Artificers in general were likely attempting to develop means to allow a simple farmer to pick up a wand and become nearly as effective as a trained archer, since that would give any military an edge. And if they could be produced cheaply, that would provide an even bigger edge. I could see Cyre and Breland in particular doing this. Aundair would also perhaps have done so, but as a nation their personal pride would make them more self-reliant on their own abilities without a magical "crutch," and with how valued magical talent is there they would likely have a higher percentage of the population with the skill and dedication to learn enough to be a arcaneer.

Remove ads