• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Missile vs. Mirror Image

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I cannot believe that you are making me post dictionary definitions because you want to make some pathetic semantic argument about what is arbitrary and what is not, rather than look at the holes in the spell narrative that you have created.

This is from a REAL dictionary.

a : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will an arbitrary choice
When a task is not seen in a meaningful context it is experienced as being arbitrary. — Nehemiah Jordan
b : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something an arbitrary standard take any arbitrary positive number
a : not restrained or limited in the exercise of power : ruling by absolute authority an arbitrary government
b : marked by or resulting from the unrestrained and often tyrannical exercise of power protection from arbitrary arrest and detention
law : depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law The manner of punishment is arbitrary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arbitrary

Why should I care about Magic Missile and Mage Armor?

Clearly I made an error (see, it's not so hard to say), but at least you used it to dodge the point.

Which does nothing to make something arbitrary. All that is required for something not to be arbitrary, is for there to be a reason why someone is saying/doing something. A mistake can't change that.

And you continue to argue, incorrectly, a semantic point instead of facing the failures in your reasoning.

That's clearly your job.

You have now abandoned all pretense of being a bastion of maturity, I see.

This is from a REAL dictionary.

a : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will an arbitrary choice
When a task is not seen in a meaningful context it is experienced as being arbitrary. — Nehemiah Jordan
b : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something an arbitrary standard take any arbitrary positive number
a : not restrained or limited in the exercise of power : ruling by absolute authority an arbitrary government
b : marked by or resulting from the unrestrained and often tyrannical exercise of power protection from arbitrary arrest and detention
law : depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law The manner of punishment is arbitrary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arbitrary

I quoted the same dictionary, including the part you bolded. Are you incapable of researching beyond 1a all the way to 1b? See, if your definition allows only one sense out of several, then your definition is arbitrary.

You are a troll. That is all I can conclude.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You have no abandoned all pretense of being a bastion of maturity, I see.

I give what I get. If you want it to go back to civil discourse, bring it back to where you brought it from. I'll follow suit.

I quoted the same dictionary, including the part you bolded. Are you incapable of researching beyond 1a all the way to 1b? See, if your definition allows only one sense out of several, then your definition is arbitrary.
You failed to understand the second portion, "...rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something.". I'm not arguing based on my personal preference. I'm arguing reason based on the nature of the spell and what it should be doing.

You are a troll. That is all I can conclude.
I have a pot to introduce you to. You're the one who started this. If you don't like it, end it. As I said before, I give what I get.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Don't let the bastards get you down! Stick to your guns, no matter how surreal or indefensible your position has become. It's a point of honor now.
It's neither surreal, nor indefensible. On a scale of 0-10, they're both at 0.

I'm still kind of surprised that you don't understand that an impact can do damage.

I honestly don't think he's trolling. I think he's feeling a bit ganged up on and backed into a corner.

...Great, now I feel like a bully. *hastily hides his bag of popcorn*

I would have an easier time believing that if he were actually sticking to discussion of the spells in question, but he has obstinately ignored the points I have made about them and my efforts to redirect the conversion to them. Instead, he has leapt at every opportunity to spiral into this increasingly surreal, as you aptly put it, digression.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would have an easier time believing that if he were actually sticking to discussion of the spells in question, but he has obstinately ignored the points I have made about them and my efforts to redirect the conversion to them. Instead, he has leapt at every opportunity to spiral into this increasingly surreal, as you aptly put it, digression.

Try making them without the insults and arrogance.

Remove ads