D&D 5E Magic Missile vs. Mirror Image

Well then clear you didn't try very hard.
Multiattack states the creature makes several attacks, and then lists them. Some list abilities without attack rolls. And yet, it lists them as attacks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
If they are listed as attacks then they are attacks. That has no bearing on effects such as Magic Missile that is never listed as an attack. Why are you even posting this stuff?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If they are listed as attacks then they are attacks. That has no bearing on effects such as Magic Missile that is never listed as an attack. Why are you even posting this stuff?
Because you asked for an example of an attack that didn't use an attack roll or specifically call itself an attack.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Well then clear you didn't try very hard.
Multiattack states the creature makes several attacks, and then lists them. Some list abilities without attack rolls. And yet, it lists them as attacks.

Actually, all that means is that just because something can be used with the 'multiattack' feature doesn't mean that every single element of it counts as an attack.

'Multiattack' doesn't define whether something counts as an attack or not. It's just a word.

It's like saying 'fool's gold' must be 'gold' because it has the word 'gold' in it.

Sent from my cell using my psychic powers.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Because you asked for an example of an attack that didn't use an attack roll or specifically call itself an attack.

No he didn't, I did that. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that you're misreading the rules, the forum posts, and the validity of your own answers. But I ask you do your peers the courtesy of reading their names; we are not some monolith, we are individuals with our own posts.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Was magic missile ever been an attack is D&D history?

Yes, the very first incarnations of Magic Missile (OD&D and Holmes) essentially treated it as a magic arrow launched from a longbow. Even did 1d6+1 damage.

It became the more familiar unerringly auto-hitting 1d4+1 spell in 1981.

(And of course, pre-errata 4e also used attack rolls. It's amusing to me that in this instance, 4e is more closer to D&D's roots than anything else. ;) )

Yunru

Banned
Banned
No he didn't, I did that. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that you're misreading the rules, the forum posts, and the validity of your own answers. But I ask you do your peers the courtesy of reading their names; we are not some monolith, we are individuals with our own posts.
In case you couldn't tell I'm using tapatalk, it's not very good for distinguishing between users.

Remove ads