Magic tattoos

Oryan77

Adventurer
Besides the Monk Tattoo in the Magic of Faerun book and the Psionic Tattoos in the Expanded Psionic Handbook; do any other WotC books describe magical tattoos and how they work?

I'm interested in permanent magical tattos, their item slots, and how you'd price such a thing.

Those are the only two WotC sources I know of for tattoos, but Malhavoc had something on tattoos, IIRC. I think its in one of the books of Eldritch Might. It's a prestige class; I think its called the Graven One. . .

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Yo

Races of Faerun 3.0 has the Tattoo Magic item creation feat, single use tattoos that take up an item slot (or not, for twice as much), spell level x caster level x 50gp, max 3rd level. Craft pre-req. Activating a tattoo (must be touched) is a standard action that does not provoke AoOs. The spell erase removes tattoos.

The Players Guide to Faerun 3.5 has a 2nd level spell Create Magic Tattoo, also uses Craft. This provides 24-hour duration buffs chosen from a list, limited by caster level and Craft DC.

As Oryan said, The Book of Elemental Might I 3.0/3.5 has the Graven One prestige class, which gives a caster the ability to
+tattoo herself with 'tattoos of power' chosen from a list of buffs (1/day);
+ use the BoEM I item creation feat Etch Object Rune on herself (spell level x caster level x 30gp, no level limit, no item slots, max 4 at once;
+ and tattoo herself with summoning runes, max 1.
Gains 5 levels of spellcasting over 10 class levels.

That's all I know :)
Alice

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Alice,

It's ELDRITCH Might, not Elemental. :p

Another source to consider, Relics and Rituals 1 and 2 have some nice rules for permanent tatts. I like em. ;)

UltimaGabe

First Post
Oryan77 said:
Besides the Monk Tattoo in the Magic of Faerun book and the Psionic Tattoos in the Expanded Psionic Handbook; do any other WotC books describe magical tattoos and how they work?

I'm interested in permanent magical tattos, their item slots, and how you'd price such a thing.

I believe the DMG mentions (in one of the gameplay sections) a variant type of magic item called Magic Tattoos- basically, if you double the cost on a magic item, it doesn't take up a slot- so you can have Tattoos of Ogre Power on your hands that grant you a +2 to strength, don't take up a slot, and cost 8,000 gp.

Oryan77

Adventurer
UltimaGabe said:
I believe the DMG mentions (in one of the gameplay sections) a variant type of magic item called Magic Tattoos- basically, if you double the cost on a magic item, it doesn't take up a slot- so you can have Tattoos of Ogre Power on your hands that grant you a +2 to strength, don't take up a slot, and cost 8,000 gp.

But a tattoo isn't exactly an item; it can't be removed from your body like gauntlets of ogre power or whatever. If you are covered in tats, and captured and stripped of your belongings, a tattoo won't be removed from your possession like a sword or pouch would. Not just anyone can remove your tattoo and that's a huge advantage from having gloves or a ring.

Wouldn't that be a factor in price? It's almost like a tome that grants you permanent ability score bonuses. Those suckers are very expensive too.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
True but the thing is unlike a tome, magic tats CAN be dispelled I believe and thus descrease some of the cost. An inherent bonus can NEVER be removed, only ability drained/damaged.

Remove ads