• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic the Gathering based Magic system in PFRPG?

Sylrae

First Post
For a M:tG Setting and Game.

Heres the Idea: Ditch the d20 magic system, and the existing caster classes.

Work in M:tG Cards.
- Players build their own decks. More strict rules on deck building than in actual M;tG(some things dont translate well into an RPG).
- Use Magic Set Editor for some the regular spells we want to keep, in an altered or unaltered state, on Magic Cards.

- ALL characters get a deck of them of Spells. Non Casters are effectively Gishes.
- New caster class: Better at it considerably (Somehow. Maybe a bigger hand or something).

Creature Cards: Summon Spells
Power: BAB?
Toughness = HD, die type by Creature Type, AC by creature type(not sure yet)?
Maybe have a chart to look up the values by creature race?

Damage Spells: Amount of Damage = # of d6es?

Casting a spell would be a standard action for sorceries, and a full round action for summons. I dunno about artifacts or enchantments. Swift Action for Instants.

I'd allow proxies, the CCG Element wouldnt be important to the game.

No Spell per day, some other way to limit things. Maybe it gets harder and harder to cast them if you dont rest? Mana cost changes the DC somehow maybe?

What do you guys think of the idea? Any suggestions for building a new Magic magic system?

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I'd love to see it, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone has done it (the main concept, maybe not close to the way you're describing.)

I do remember someone had broken out the core spells among the 5 magic colors (green = earth/nature spells, black = necromancy and some others, etc.) You may want to do a web search for that if it will save you some work.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Do you have a copy of Michael Morris' Dusk Player's Guide? He used to frequent these boards, but I haven't seen him around for some time. I recall that it was OK to redistribute the document though - after all, that's how anyone got hold of it to begin with, and it was always free, etc.

It's basically a total conversion of MtG (@ 2006 or so) to d20/3.5, though not (IIRC) using magic decks, per se.

And there was some guy doing conversions of individual MtG creatures offsite, possibly earlier than the above, but those pages got pulled quick smart. For that matter, so did Dusk, so far as being hosted here - or maybe anywhere - goes. So yeah, if you want a copy, I'd have to email it or something. PM me if that sounds at all useful.

Remove ads