• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic use in WOIN

GLazelle

First Post
Couple of (hopefully) quick magic-related questions for you all:

1/ Pg. 156 says explicitly that anyone can cast spells, but specifies that you need a secret (everyone gets 'self') and a skill. Does this mean that I need 1+ ranks in a magic skill to use it? I ask because normally I don't need a skill to, say, use a sword, etc?

2/ pg. 159 discusses maximum spell MP, often in the rules specific skill use is omitted - it is inferred that if you have an appropriate skill you add it in (a melee attack is a STR or DEX check - adding in the swords skill is assumed). Does this apply here?

3/ Abjure, is the secret the thing being abjured, or the thing doing the abjuring? If I'm a cleric with the 'good' secret, does this mean that I can only protect from harm by good sources? This seems counterintuitive.

Thanks,

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Yep, you'd need to pick up a skill. By "anyone" it means you don't have to have gone into a magic career or anything - spend 3XP, you have healing 1 (1d6), for example. Spells don't generally require an attribute check to use like a sword does, so the sword analogy isn't quite apt; the only time a spell needs an attribute check is when targeting an unwilling creature.

2. You add skills and equipment to attribute check dice pools. Your maximum MP isn't an attribute check dice pool, it's just your MAGIC attribute. If you're not making an actual attribute check (or working out the static score of one, such as your DEFENSE scores), the dice pool isn't applicable.

3. The thing being abjured. A good cleric should definitely pick up the evil secret when possible. Note that if your god is good, evil only works as an Abjure secret for you and vice versa (pg 284).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads