• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Plants and Fruit

I've been thinking about magical plants and fruit and about plants that might occur in a magic-rich setting, but which we do not have in our world. I've got a few idea that I like and I'll share, but I'd like to see what, if any similar ideas others have employed, or even just conceived of, for their own campaigns,

in short, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. . .

Mage's Head: a whole genus of similar, large blossom flowers, these flowers thrive on magic and even derive some sustenance from it. This idea came from considering sunflowers, the blossoms of which follow the course of the sun through the day. Any number of variations on this flower might be fun: one with a vague face-like pattern of seeds in the blossom and long, drooping petals which resemble a beardand long hair; one which faces, and quickly tracks, the location of either arcane or divine spellcasters in preference to other sources of magic, despite invisibility or other concealing magical effects; one whose seeds are naturally-occurring fireseeds; one that grants cantrip-level beauty and grace to the songbirds that sustain themselves on its seeds; one which leeches prepared spells or spellslots from casters who sleep nearby; one which diminishes (reduces to minimum variable effect) the spells cast within 30', drawing nutrients from the stolen spell energy; one which feeds on psionics, incarnum, or whatchamacallit; one suitable for creating a short-lived metamagic rod; the possibilities are vast.

Heart's fruit:
similar in appearance to a peach, but purple in color, this fruit, when eaten, heightens the emotional state of the creature consuming it. Happy characters become euphorically contented; sad characters slip into morose catatonia; angry creatures fly into a rage and so forth.

Nectarine of Joy:
this fruit always fills the creature consuming it with profound happiness. The consumer feels such delight and such a profound sense of well-being that they enjoy a +4 morale bonus to all actions, check and saves. Prolonged use (as defined by the DM) may result in enhancement bonuses to ability scores similar to those conferred by extended Eagle's Splendor or Fox's Cunning, but may simultaneously inflict 1 point of temporary Wisdom damage unless the consumer succeeds at a low-DC Fortitude saving throw. Including this fruit in one's diet on a daily basis moves the consumer's alignment first toward good at one increment a month, and then toward chaos at the same increment. Chaotic Good consumers receive the effects of an Eriador's Permanent Levity Spell (BoEM) which stacks with the morale bonus conferred by the fruit.[sblock]This plant was specifically, and quite patiently bred by a botanist Arcanoloth on the first layer of Baator for a Tanarri General for use in the blood war, but is still being secretly tested in select locations on the prime material plane. It leeches the happiness, joy, hope, and benevolence from a region. Its widespreading roots consume the happiness from the inhabitants of one acre to produce a single fruit. As the roots spread wider and wider, more acreage may be leeched, inflicting a morose depression (-2 morale penalty to all inhabitants' actions) and a slow leeching of the soul (this is represented by an annual DC 10 Will save by each inhabitant of the area to avoid suffering 1 point of Charisma drain. The DC increases by two for each successful save.) Non-evil denizens of the tree's area of influence also move once step toward evil each time they are affected by the tree's charisma drain.[/sblock]The tree which produces the Nectarines of Joy generally requires 7-10 years of maturation before producing fruit. The wood of this tree is tough and fibrous, but breaks down quickly one harvested.

What other plants have you all come up with?

Warren Okuma

First Post
Druid's Scimitar: A Scimitar shaped cactus that produces dew or doubles the amount of dew in the area. It flowers irregularly but it's tiny fruit tastes like an intense burst of sweet-strawberry-orange tasting fruit.

The root can be brewed in a tea. The tea heals one point but requires a Fort 8 save or become fatigued. It is a bitter horrid tea. Fort 8 to keep it down.

Wik

First Post
I dunno. I liked how magical fruits in DARK SUN were like potions in other games. We had a lot of fruits that had standard effects - I can't remember which was which, but I think healing potions were apples. And I remember we had a Pomegranate of Lesser Restoration in there, somewhere.

That was pretty cool.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The most common plant I've used, I usually call Arrowleaf. It's a perfect contraceptive for humans, cheap and easy to grow, hard to kill. It's leaves can be chewed either fresh or dried, or made into a tea; it has only a hint of sweet flavor. It's effects start to work almost instantly and continue for roughly 50 hours.

Wik said:
I dunno. I liked how magical fruits in DARK SUN were like potions in other games. We had a lot of fruits that had standard effects - I can't remember which was which, but I think healing potions were apples. And I remember we had a Pomegranate of Lesser Restoration in there, somewhere.

That was pretty cool.
Yeah, I liked potion-fruits, too. They were a good illustration of terrific 2nd Ed campaign setting design stretching beyond the capacity of clunky 2nd Ed rules. Now, potion-fruits don't seem like such a departure, especially considering things like the item creation rules in Arcana Evolved, but they impart a cool flavor to humdrum mechanics and I think they represent an important step in the game's evolution.

I really like the Druid's Scimitar, too. That's actually closer to what I'm asking about. Rather than what amount to naturally occurring alchemical substances (which, no mistake, are really cool), I'm interested in window dressing and campaign devices - stuff that will stick with players even if it never makes it onto a character sheet equipment list.

Arrowleaf is another good example. It sounds like no one would ever try to make a living growing it or processing it, certainly not as an alternative to adventuring, but it gives players control over something that is reasonable to control and the substance might make an interesting discovering, depending on where it was found.

Last edited:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Check out Dragon #336, which has an article on herbal remedies with cool effects. There are also a couple of magical fruit types in the classic 1e Desert of Desolation adventure series. And there's also the "Legacy of Hortus" article from way back in Dragon #87, with a whole bunch of magical plants.

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
There is also Occult Lore from Atlas. It has, by leagues, the best herbalism rules in d20.

Personally most of the plants I have develped are druid creations meant to decrease humanoid populations- berries that turn humanoids into birds, extreme drunkeness, grass that poisons grains, trees that kill grains, plants that are only poisonous after they are cooked (the toxin is meant to enter animal flesh first) and such.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Sanguine Fern - These ferns are most commonly found growing over old battlefields or places where blood has been spilled frequently. The fonds of the fern are the bright red of fresh blood. The roots of the fern are the reddish-brown of dried blood and can been used to purge the body of poison and disease.

Shortly after injesting the fresh root of a fern, the recipient begins to develop a fever and will actually being to sweat blood for about 10 minutes. This causes the recipient to take 1d4 points of damage and to be fatigued for 8 hours. If the recipient is suffering from a disease or has been poisoned, it allows an immediate saving throw against the effects at +2. A second dose can be given after 8 hours, causing the same effect and allowing another saving throw at +2, but the recipient will be fatigued for an additional 24 hours. If a dose is given while the recipient is still fatigued from an earlier dose, the recipient takes 2d8 points of damage and gains no benefits.

The root can be dried and stored. Injesting dried root causes the recipient to sweat blood for about one minute, losing 1 hp and removes any effects of intoxication from alcohol. It does not allow a diseased or poisoned recipient an additional saving throw, but it will give a +1 bonus to the next saving throw noramally made against the effects.

I was going to add a clan of vampires in part of the world I run my game in. They have created a breed of apple tree that has blood like sap, that they use to sustain themselves quietly amongst a human population.

Aeric

Explorer
Funny you should mention vampires and bloody apple trees....

I came up with a story once in which an ancient vampire had been staked and buried in the ground, but not destroyed. Over the years, the stake bloomed into an apple tree, only this tree was tainted with evil from feeding on the vampire's blood. The vampire (which was more like a WoD vamp than a D&D vamp) psychically called out to the local farmers in their dreams, coaxing them to come to the tree and eat the apples. When the farmers ate the strange, coppery-tasting fruit, they fell under the sway of the vampire, who then used the bond to get the farmers to harvest and sell/distribute the fruit to the nearby village. In this way, the comatose vampire built up a legion of dominated followers to prepare for the vampire's return.

The only problem was that the tree had completely latched onto the vamp with its roots, becoming a sort of parasitic creature. The vampire's blood flowed through the tree, so that removing the tree from the vamp would destroy both of them. I thought about maybe having the vamp transfer his consciousness to the tree, becoming a sort of undead vampiric treant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads