• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magically Equipped vs. Unequipped - What is the Level Difference?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This thead about Disjunction in the Rules Forum got me thinking of a scenario.

Let's say you had a group of 12th level characters that lost all their magical equipment, potions, scrolls, weapons, armor, everything - but still had the best mundane equipment their money could buy them or their skills could make them.

What would be the average level of a group with standard equipment that would pose a credible threat (i.e. near equal in power)?

Obviously, it would be a lower level - but what level do you think that would be? How many more "levels" does standard equipment count as in your eyes?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
el-remmen said:
Let's say you had a group of 12th level characters that lost all their magical equipment, potions, scrolls, weapons, armor, everything - but still had the best mundane equipment their money could buy them or their skills could make them.

What would be the average level of a group with standard equipment that would pose a credible threat (i.e. near equal in power)?

Obviously, it would be a lower level - but what level do you think that would be? How many more "levels" does standard equipment count as in your eyes?
A very rough guess might be 1 level per average "+" of the things lost. So, if the party lost a bunch of items averaging +2, that might roughly equate to losing two power levels. You'd have to make allowances in the event that most of the losses were not straight "+" items, but it's a start... :)

Lanefan

Slaved

First Post
I would say that the party would be about 2 CR lower than before.

Fighter types would be doing less damage and hitting less often plus their AC would be much lower.

Arcane spellcasters will have just the base AC (10+dex) and no buff to con so their chances of surviving a single full attack from a fighter type with actual magical gear is about zero.

Comparing to a 10th level party with full gear for their level vs a 12th level party with only the basic nonmagical gear would be very interesting. I think it would come out mostly even. The 12th level party would have the benefit of higher level abilities while the lower level party will have the benefit of gear.

shilsen

Adventurer
12th lvl PCs with no magical equipment would be about equal to a fully equipped 9th-10th lvl group. The variation is partly because the type of character makes a big difference to the dependence on equipment. A non-spellcaster probably loses a lot more than a spellcaster in this situation.

maggot

First Post
I think it is more like 2/3rds. It is definitely a fraction of the original CR/EL because the gap widens as levels increase.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
maggot said:
I think it is more like 2/3rds. It is definitely a fraction of the original CR/EL because the gap widens as levels increase.

So an 8th level group magically equipped would have an even chance against a 12th level group unequipped?

diaglo

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
So an 8th level group magically equipped would have an even chance against a 12th level group unequipped?

i would say yes.... but only if they had 1 more stat bonus.

12th lvl guys at 25 pt buy to start and nonmagical equipment = 8th lvl guys with at least +6 stat bonus at start plus magical equipment.

otherwise. i'm going with 9th/10th lvl. ;)

The Human Target

Adventurer
Hmmm I kinda feel like they would be even lower than 10th in power, but I don't have any proof to back it up.

The loss of scrolls and wands would be a huge blow to the power of any spellcasters I've ever seen played at that level.

Lanefan said:
A very rough guess might be 1 level per average "+" of the things lost. So, if the party lost a bunch of items averaging +2, that might roughly equate to losing two power levels. You'd have to make allowances in the event that most of the losses were not straight "+" items, but it's a start... :)

Lanefan

My thoughts exactly. You would also have to balance the amount of permanent magic vs consumable. If 2/3rds or more of the items in the party are weapons, armor, and constant effects, it will be a bigger blow. If most of the items are wands, staves, scroll, potions, or once a day use items, it would mean fewer battles per day more than an overall power reduction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads