MagicWeapons

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Do whatever feels right to you. What's the worst thing that can happen? Everyone leaves your campaign? ;)

I think, in general, once a PC *has* a special magic weapon, then it's very hard to upgrade it. If they've picked up a flametongue, the only weapon that is likely to replace it is a vorpal sword.

Personally, I'd be looking for little quirks, additional small powers, and/or intelligence to add to a weapon. If the +0 giant slayer also detect giants, then it's something that can be worth giving up the bonus for.

Cheers!

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I see the point, Flametongue is better than mundane every time, but not necessarily better than +2 to hit, and Giant slayer is only better than mundane against damage resistance or a giant. It's better but it's negligible unless you meet the giant that you're destiny is calling you to fight. I don't think players should be too dependent on a golf bag either, but if they reach a level where say a +2 weapon is appropriate to find as treasure, appropriate but boring, then the design steers the DM to either give the boring reward or the reward that will be useful once in the future when I say it is. It seems to me that +1 Giant slayer is a good alternative. it has some benefit and the promise of a big difference that may occur and a reason to want it.

Bardbarian

First Post
One thing you may want to consider based on the type of campaign you are running is that adding magical plusses to weapons makes feats like GWM and SS stronger than the might otherwise be. There is nothing wrong with this but it should be something you are aware of. adding a +2 or +3 to hit makes it more likely the +10 damage bonuses from those feats will be applied on a successful hit.

Remove ads