Make me a Wrestler please =)

RigaMortus

Explorer
I am thinking of making a "wrestler" type for my next class (in the event my current one bites it) and was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have some ideas as far as character traits go (personality, quirks, etc.) but can't decide on what Feats I want to take.

First off let me state that he is going to be a Half-Orc, preferably Monk. Yeah, you heard me right. I am picking a Half-Orc for two reasons. One is that I like to play the untraditional types of characters, and two is because it fits what I want to do with him. The reason I mention this is because I know I am gonna miss that crucial bonus feat if I were to pick a Human, but I am ok with that.

Anyway, the only feat that I am definately set on taking would be "Improved Grapple". Being a wrestler, I want him to be a master of grappling. So most of the feats should center around grappling, unarmed combat, close quarters combat and the like. Feel free to choose any of the feats from any of the D&D books (PHB, S&F, OA, etc.).

Oh yeah, also feel free to use the "bonus feats" Monks get according to the OA rules, where you can switch out their 1st, 2nd and 6th level feats for other ones. I would prefer to keep Stunning Fist if possible, but I can live without it. Deflect Arrows and Improved Trip are free to go for other grapple-related feats.

Oh, and if you find that there is a better class to become a wrestler as then a Monk, feel free to use that. I just assumed that Monk would be most fitting as a "wrestling" type of fighter since they start with Improved Unarmed Attack. It is mainly the race that I want to keep.

I think that is about it, thanks.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
In any case, don't forget to take Improved Grab (OA) and maybe some other feats along these lines. :)

(The main help here, though, is that my post brings you back from page 12. :p)

Krystoff

First Post
If you have access to the Quintessential Fighters Handbook (And its allowed) There are certainly some great things in there to pick.

The thing about wrestlers is you need the feats! I would say multiclassing from Fighter 4 into Monk would work. That way you can specialize in Unarmed attack.

Legildur

First Post
No books in front of me, but.....

1st -
Improved Unarmed Strike (bonus)
Improved Grapple (OA) (in place of Stunning Attack)
Weapon Focus (grapple).

2nd -
Choke Hold (in place of Deflect Arrows)

3rd -
Earth's Embrace

6th -
Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)
Improved Trip.

Earth's Embrace complements Choke Hold nicely in that even if they make the Fort save to remain conscious, they take double unarmed damage (which should be good for a half-orc Monk).

Wpn Focus (grapple) is obvious, but the WF (US) is to improve you opportunity to use the Improved Grapple.

Without my books I can't decide if you are better off to switch out Improved Trip for something else.

Close Quarters Fighting would also work well, and plenty of ranks in Escape Artist (Dex).

Not sure about your campaign but ou might want to look at teh Psi Warrior. They get lots of bonus feats and you can pick powers with a very martial-arts feel.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
I just made up some judo-type NPCs for my last adventure. They were human Monk/Fighters with the following feats:

M1: Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Expertise (no Stunning Attack)
F1: Improved Trip
M2: Defensive Throw, Karmic Strike (no Dodge Arrows)
F2: Great Throw

Toss in some Improved Grapple and Choke Hold action and you'd be doing pretty well as a wrestler. I would recommend mixing in some Fighter for the feats. Or if you can stand being Lawful Good, then look at the Shintao Monk PrC in OA. It allows for lots of martial arts bonus feats while letting you stay a pure monk.

Remove ads