Making an avenger

-Avalon-

First Post
My first time doing this in a LONG time... but the character is more about flavor than about mechanics and efficiency, was looking to get some ideas on builds/style here... (try to be as efficient as possible, but some loss in efficiency is expected)

The campaign idea is simple: We are playing in a version of Forgotten Realms that has suffered a "Fallout 3" makeover... ruins, very tiny settlements (like 5-15 people in size usually, some larger), etc etc... If anyone has not yet had the pleasure of playing that game, I apologize for not going into it more, and I am sure the others and myself will be glad to describe the idea, but for now, just getting the thread out there.

My character: A Half-Orc Avenger, would prefer to go retribution, but alas, I feel Pursuit is likely the best way to go. His backstory will be (to keep in with the "science!" style of Fallout 3, in FR will be "magic!") that he was not born, but created. In a secret arcane lab, hidden in some remote mountains, wizards (mainly tieflings) were working on some experiments to make different creatures. I awoke on a cold stone slab, bound in leather straps. When the "scientists" left on day, I heard a voice, it was very powerful, but as a whisper, telling me that they will let me out, and that they have great plans for me. The leather straps undid themselves, and the way was remarkably clear all the way out. No signs of the "scientists" at all. Since then, I have been wandering the world, trying to find my way. All I know, I have voices that speak to me, and tell me who it is that I need to hunt down. It has always been people with strong ties to arcane or divine, and mainly "scientists".

If anyone has better ideas, or a good way to tweak that story line, let me know, but also looking for stats and build. Have been trying to work on it, but for some reason, making a character based on story line and flavor is no longer really in my blood (has been about 12 years since I did that lol). So any help is appreciated! :D

Zhure

First Post
Nice thing about the Avenger, he doesn't really need to be efficient, his hit-chance is his bread and butter and even a poor hit roll isn't too shabby.

If you're set on half-orc I'd pump Str like crazy and rely on basic attacks if you can't squeeze in a high Wis. The melee basic isn't as 'good' as the at-will's of the Avenger, but it's pretty darn close, you just lose the rider effects but you can charge with it and it'll make your OAs nice. The high Str will make it easier to qualify for Deadly Axe, Hammery Rhythm and Power Attack, as well as Heavy Blade Mastery and similar feats. With a high-Str build, you'll want to consider multiclassing to Fighter, Warlord or Ranger, to pick up an encounter or daily or two to augment your arsenal.

Back to my original point: nice thing about the Avenger, he doesn't really need to be optimized to do well. A moderate Wis and a decent weapon and he shines with reliable striker damage and good survivability.
Z

fba827

Adventurer
(How I'd do it -- mind you, I'm tired so this is more stream of conciousness rather than coherent thought)

You are "The Hunter" - An imposing figure of a man that goes through great lengths to track his prey. You are not bound by codes of ethics or laws, but instead you follow the whispers you hear from an unknown divine source. While these whispers might be considered madness by some, you somehow feel that the answers behind your creation can only be found once you see these tasks through to the end.

How I'd do it (presuming the given fluff, and staying as a half-orc avenger with the censure of persuit)

Ability scores (after racial mods):
Str medium/high
Con medium
Dex high
Int low
Wis medium
Cha low

Skills: Religion (default given) and three from either intimidate (if you want to be scarey), perception (good for finding tracks or noticing people trying to hide/run from you), stealth (if you want to be sneaky), streetwise (if you spend any time in the cities asking around for where your target lives and so on)

Equipment: Given his start without a "known" benefactor or support group, his possessions will probably be simple more common type stuff. So unless he also got a "big fancy weapon" that was purposely put near him on his way out, chances are he should stick to more common weapons that could be easily explained as 'getting it on the road' (i.e. using a longsword as your primary weapon is easier to explain than a great axe given that longswords are probably easier to find - though not impossible). You would pack light so that you can easily stay on the move (to keep away from the law or enemies that you have made from people you've killed, but also to be ready for hunt the next target)

Unless you always want to be "kick in the door without stealth" then theives tools aren't a bad thing to have (even if you don't have theivery trained) since you might need to occasionally break in to people's strongholds.

Retribution option: If you like the flavor of the censure of retribution more than play that instead. While you won't get a racial bonus to either your primary or secondary stats, it is workable specifically because you are an avenger so you can get away with a medium wisdom and your accuracy will not suffer.

Option: At some point, consider taking either rogue or ranger multiclass feats (the choice between the two depends on which skill you want, and which "flavor" you want. You should be able to easily qualify for either with your dex. Though, if you hope/want to take power swap feats for your mutliclass then you'll have your primary weapon choices a little more limited to work within those various specializations.

CubeKnight

First Post
Here's a quick Half-Orc Avenger I whipped up in the Char Builder.
Maybe instead of Leather Armor Prof, you could grab Invigotaring Pursuit or Powerful Charge, that'd go well with a Charger theme. You could use Whirlwind Charge instead of a Basic Attack while charging, and make it hurt even more with Furious Assault.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
level 1
Half-Orc, Avenger
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, Acrobatics +8, Stealth +9, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +2, Heal +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Nature +3, Streetwise -1, Thievery +3, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Pursuit
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger encounter 1: Whirlwind Charge
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Greataxe, Adventurer's Kit, Javelin (2)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Herschel

Adventurer
His backstory will be (to keep in with the "science!" style of Fallout 3, in FR will be "magic!") that he was not born, but created. In a secret arcane lab, hidden in some remote mountains,....Tieflings......

This SCREAMS Deva Retribution Avenger to me. The Patron Deity guides your soul to the Tiefling lab, spoiling their evil creation and you take the stand for good on this Gods-forsaken rock. Take Leather Armor with your first feat because AC helps and blasted leather just looks cool in a Mad-Maxian way. For your weapon go semi-primative, gruesome and derivative of a useful tool: Heavy War Pick.

Jack the WIS and INT. You are blessed with a cunning intellect those separated from centers of society and learning can't match. (double 16s) and next highest in strength. You are physically capable, but know HOW to do things rather than just trying to physically force things to happen.

You have the magical, other-worldy look of a non-natural being, post-apocalyptic gear and a concept. That's how I'd go.

-Avalon-

First Post
One thing I forgot to put in, we are starting at 11th level, and can only pick paragon paths of race or same class (so no multiclass paragons)...

cmbarona

First Post
This SCREAMS Deva Retribution Avenger to me. The Patron Deity guides your soul to the Tiefling lab, spoiling their evil creation and you take the stand for good on this Gods-forsaken rock. Take Leather Armor with your first feat because AC helps and blasted leather just looks cool in a Mad-Maxian way. For your weapon go semi-primative, gruesome and derivative of a useful tool: Heavy War Pick.

Jack the WIS and INT. You are blessed with a cunning intellect those separated from centers of society and learning can't match. (double 16s) and next highest in strength. You are physically capable, but know HOW to do things rather than just trying to physically force things to happen.

You have the magical, other-worldy look of a non-natural being, post-apocalyptic gear and a concept. That's how I'd go.

I have to second this, especially the Deva part. I usually have a hard time envisioning Devas' place in society, but this one seems a fantastic match.

-Avalon-

First Post

Hmmm, interesting take on it... but I'd change something to keep with the basic story line some...

Maybe, the Deva spirit was intended for one of the vessels used in the experiment, but due to the arcane involvement, an accident occured, and the deva was reborn without knowing it was truly a deva... the Deity still speaking to it still applies then because the deva doesn't truly understand what is going on... It hears the whispers of divine interaction and its past selves striving to awaken the memories...

At that point, the story line remains unchanged for most part, I am still an avenger, get to use retribution which is what I wanted anyway...

Any other great ideas? So far this has been a great place to get assistance, I like em so far!

Lojaan

Hero
Personally, I am a massive half-orc fan but with this fluff (awesome concept btw) you could play pretty much any race and 're-skin' it to fit the lab creation story. As you were created, you could look like anything. Deva is a great fit - as they reincarnate, something in the ritual that gave you life could have sucked in a reincarnating deva. That would explain much about your avenger-ness, and the hearing whispers/voices etc. Especially as the character probably wouldn't know that they were a deva, or even what a deva is.

Other races that would be great fits would be shifters. Easy to imagine the 'scientists' experimenting with animal hybrids. If you played a razorclaw shifter (perfect for pursuit avanger) they could have spliced the soul of a person with that of a hunting cat, or even a ratdog or something.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Wow. I *love* that backstory. And while I agree that Deva is a good fit for the concept, I don't see why another race couldn't work just as well.

I also love the Pursuing Avenger, but I would recommend putting a lot of thought into how to achieve superb maneuverability. You will benefit greatly from anything that gives you extra shifts, multi-square shifts, shifts through difficult terrain (viz. elves), teleporting or bonus defense against OAs. This is because the most effective tactic against PAs (IMO) is for the critters to gang up and surround you. You need to be able to slip out of their clutches when they do this, because if you can't get to your target you lose your biggest striker advantage.

Remove ads