• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Eldritch Blasts non-lethal...

Drowbane

First Post
frankthedm said:
Not reasonable IMHO. That power comes from a source that is not merciful and energy attacks should almost never be subdual in the first place.

And have you decided what you are going to do with Warlock alignment violations?

Chaotic or Evil.

Chaotic Good is well within a Warlock's alignment options. Perhaps his power originates with a celestial patron rather than the typical fiendish one?

frankthedm

First Post
Drowbane said:
Chaotic or Evil.

Chaotic Good is well within a Warlock's alignment options. Perhaps his power originates with a celestial patron rather than the typical fiendish one?
Nope. Read the class. A DM is entitled to change it if they so desire, but the wclass right up is pretty solidly entrench in that the power comes from a very wicked sourse.

Last edited:

Sidekick

First Post
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll present them with the spell-like ability feat that iseifur made - Nice work by the way :)

Alignment: well I'll admit that I'm a bit lax on alignments at the vest of times, so I doubt it'll be an issue in game. The player only wants the non-lethal ability when it comes time for taking prisoners (ie when the group NEED info from the bad-guys).

I think you guys are correct abotu the whole non-lethal for free being to easy - there is a monk in the group so its not likesomeone can't beat the opposition into submimssion anyway.

Thanks all and happy gaming!

iceifur

Explorer
Sidekick said:
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll present them with the spell-like ability feat that iseifur made - Nice work by the way :)

Alignment: well I'll admit that I'm a bit lax on alignments at the vest of times, so I doubt it'll be an issue in game. The player only wants the non-lethal ability when it comes time for taking prisoners (ie when the group NEED info from the bad-guys).

I think you guys are correct abotu the whole non-lethal for free being to easy - there is a monk in the group so its not likesomeone can't beat the opposition into submimssion anyway.

Thanks all and happy gaming!

Good luck.

(oh, btw, it's "iceifur" :D )

rgard

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
Nope. Read the class. A DM is entitled to change it if they so desire, but the wclass right up is pretty solidly entrench in that the power comes from a very wicked sourse.

Nope. After all the Chaotic and Evil focused print you refer to, you can read the following:

"A good-aligned warlock is a grim and fearsome enemy of evil. All too familiar with the darkness lurking in his heart, he gazes unflinchingly on the evil in others and battles the foulest of foes without fear."

Also:

"In fact, many warlocks are created by nonevil powers--wild or fey forces that can be every bit as dangerous as demons or devils."

Both quotes from the Complete Arcane, page 6.

With the above you don't need a DM fiat to play a good aligned Warlock. That said, there is no stretch (IMHO) to come up with a feat that allows the warlock to use the Eldritch Blast as a non-lethal attack.

Thanks,
Rich

Question

First Post
Im curious, why is that non-lethal substituion feat +1 to spell level? I cant see anyone taking it unless they were like, elite SWAT members of a kingdom and regularly deals with hostage scenarios and their main tatic revolves around mass spamming of non-lethal fireballs.

Even if it was +0, changing it from lethal damage doesnt make it drop a target quicker. In some cases it actually will have lesser or no effect.

rgard

Adventurer
Question said:
Im curious, why is that non-lethal substituion feat +1 to spell level? I cant see anyone taking it unless they were like, elite SWAT members of a kingdom and regularly deals with hostage scenarios and their main tatic revolves around mass spamming of non-lethal fireballs.

Even if it was +0, changing it from lethal damage doesnt make it drop a target quicker. In some cases it actually will have lesser or no effect.

I'm not certain, but I think it may be they wrote it that way so that there is a trade-off/penalty for the extra flexibility.

Edit: I could see having it lower the effective level of the caster by 1. That way it wouldn't reduce the damage done at every level of the warlock. For example, a 5th level warlock's subdual damage with the blast would be 2d6 (cast as a 4th level due to the -1 to caster level), while a 6th level warlock's would be 3d6 (cast as a 5th level warlock.)

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

DreamChaser

Explorer
Subduing Blast
Least Blast Essence Invocation (1st level)
Your eldrich blast deals nonlethal damage. A subduing blast has no effect on objects.

Or...

Staggering Blast
Lesser Blast Essence Invocation (3rd level)
Your eldritch blast deals nonlethal damage. In addition, a creature hit by your blast must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. A staggering blast has no effect on objects.

I think this is the better route than a feat. Invocations are premium enough that the cost will be enough to justify the flexibility.

DC

Nonlethal Force

First Post
frankthedm said:

Another poster already beat me to the fact that the CArc references wild sources or fey. It also mentions on the same page that the source of the warlocks power ultimately is decided by the player. Certainly, however, in games that you DM you can read the text to imply a much more fiendish source. I'll not deprive you of that right on yur behalf.

I would, however, like to illustrate how nonlethal damage can be very beneficial to demonic/devlish powers. [Really, any evil power, but the topic of demonic/devlish is specifically being discussed.] I could easily imagine a demon lord that knows that the kill/resurrect route to torture can fail because a person can refuse the resurrection. So, what better way to torture a character than large doeses of Nonlethal damage. Nonlethal damage still can hurt like the dickens ... just won't kill the tortured one. I could see this appealing enough to demon/devil lords to force a few of their henchmen to have this power at their service.

Also, I can envision a warlock who has seen the evil of his lineage to such an extreme that he cannot bring himself to repeat such torture. However, he certainly cannot deny his gift. Thus, the warlock sets off to learn how to use the gift in means that are not lethal so as to bring the evil portions of his heritage to justice.

There are two perfectly legit demonic/devlish rationale for allowing this.

And if anyone is counting, I would also go with a feat that doesn't change damage dice. However, there is nothing really wrong with making it a seperate invocation, either.

Remove ads