• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Eldritch Blasts non-lethal...

Sidekick

First Post
Hello enworlders.

In my campaign that is kicking off next week one of the players is goign to be playing a Warlock. She was wanting to be ablt to deal non-lethal damage at her discretion.

Is there already a feat out there that does this?

If not do you think its reasonable power level for a single feat?

many thanks in advance

[EDIT]This has now been solved. Many thanks to all who replied with suggestions and comments. [/edit]

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Why not allow it using a modified Energy Subsitution feat?

The energy type changes form a non-typed energy to a non-typed energy (subdual)

Vorput

First Post
There's a metamagic feat in Complete arcane IIRC that let's you make spells deal subdual damage for +1 to the spell level...

Which implies that letting the character do it automatically for just a feat isn't completely balanced... I'd either make them take a eldritch blast invocation that substitutes subdual for lethal damage (balanced cause those invocations are so rare for a warlock), or else require a feat and have it reduce the damage of the attack by 1d6 if they want to subdual instead of lethal (which may become less balanced at higher levels...)

Yeah, thinking about it- making it a invocation seems a good move... either least or lesser.

Vorp

Sidekick

First Post
So either a feat or an invocation that lets them deal non-lethal but at the expence of 1d6 EB damage.

I like it! :cool:

Personally I think I'd go feat as I use the 'you not your gear' HR and this character is the only arcanist so their invocations are quite important for party support/arcane might...

szilard

First Post
Alternately, make it a feat with a different sort of cost. For example, I think a feat that allowed you to switch between lethal and nonlethal damage with an eldritch blast would be balanced if it required a standard action to make the switch.

-Stuart

iceifur

Explorer
You could follow the example set by the other Spell-like Ability meta-feats (remembering that an unmodified Eldritch Blast counts as a 1st-lvl spell); granted, it's not an all-you-can-fire-buffet-of-unconsciousness, but it could be handy. And plus, you know, precedent and all that.

Nonlethal Spell-like Ability
You can use a spell-like ability to deal nonlethal damage.​
Prerequisite: Spell-like ability at caster level 4th or higher.
Benefit: Choose one of your spell-like abilities to deal nonlethal damage up to three times per day (or the ability's normal use limit, whichever is less). The modified spell-like ability deals nonlethal damage instead of its normal damage type. The nonlethal spell-like ability works normally in all respects except for the damage type dealt -- for example, a nonlethal fireball has the same area and range, but it will not damage objects or set fire to combustibles in the area because it deals nonlethal damage (rather than fire damage).
The spell-like ability you wish to change to nonlethal can be chosen only from those abilities that duplicate a spell of a level less than or equal to 1/2 your caster level (round down), minus 1 (i.e. 0th @ CL 2, 1st @ CL 4, 2nd @ CL 6, etc.).
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time, you apply it to a different one of your spell-like abilities.​

Artoomis

First Post
iceifur said:
///
Nonlethal Spell-like Ability
You can use a spell-like ability to deal nonlethal damage.​
Prerequisite: Spell-like ability at caster level 4th or higher.
Benefit: Choose one of your spell-like abilities to deal nonlethal damage up to three times per day (or the ability's normal use limit, whichever is less). The modified spell-like ability deals nonlethal damage instead of its normal damage type. The nonlethal spell-like ability works normally in all respects except for the damage type dealt -- for example, a nonlethal fireball has the same area and range, but it will not damage objects or set fire to combustibles in the area because it deals nonlethal damage (rather than fire damage).
The spell-like ability you wish to change to nonlethal can be chosen only from those abilities that duplicate a spell of a level less than or equal to 1/2 your caster level (round down), minus 1 (i.e. 0th @ CL 2, 1st @ CL 4, 2nd @ CL 6, etc.).
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time, you apply it to a different one of your spell-like abilities.​
Nicely done.

Bagpuss

Legend
Sidekick said:
So either a feat or an invocation that lets them deal non-lethal but at the expence of 1d6 EB damage.

I like it! :cool:

Actually I wouldn't alter the dice of the EB, you get so few Invocations as it is why would you want one that makes the blast weaker. As for the feat, generally they are restricted to number of times per day, if you look at Maximize Spell-like Ability

frankthedm

First Post
Sidekick said:
If not do you think its reasonable power level for a single feat?
Not reasonable IMHO. That power comes from a source that is not merciful and energy attacks should almost never be subdual in the first place.

And have you decided what you are going to do with Warlock alignment violations?

Remove ads