Making it harder to be hit against ranged attacks...

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Yeah, his name is Monte and he wrote them in the DMG. The rules are very extensive (read: slow down combat) though.

Rav

hong

WotC's bitch
Rav said:
Yeah, his name is Monte and he wrote them in the DMG. The rules are very extensive (read: slow down combat) though.

That's not quite what I'm thinking of. The DMG rules still assume there's one guy whom you want to hit, and the rest of that section is devoted to figuring out what happens if you miss. Sometimes you're just firing into a horde, and you don't really care who you hit, as long as you hit someone.

Or maybe it all works out the same in practice.

Crothian

First Post
If you are just firing into a crownd and don't care who you hit, I think the -4 for not having precise shot is not applied. I'd have an equal chance of hitting anyone in the crowd, so if the crowd is of 20 people I roll 1d20 and assign numbers to the people. Then see if the attack roll beat their AC and apply damage if it does. As for volley rules, I assume your menaing 10 or so goblins all firing at the same time into the same general area. For that I'd roll one general attack roll (I like to keep dice rolling to a minimium, but you could easily roll seperately for each one). Then start assigning arrows to targets. I find it works pretty good and really doesn't slow down combat that much. WEll, no slower then you'd expect for having so many attackers.

Cullain

First Post
Aside from Full defensive stance, you could just use the Expertise feat, if you have it.

As far as attacking you friend, I suppose it would be considered legal, in a strict reading of the rules.

Would I allow it as a DM? No.

Cullain

Remove ads