D&D General Making The Realms Come Alive

I’ve worked on the Forgotten Realms every day of my life now for over fifty years, and for over forty of them have been joined by scores of fellow creators, all of us pumping our energies into the setting. So a lot has happened, in-world, and with so much going on, the place certainly seems alive. Some hapless crofters in the Dales or shopkeepers in Waterdeep would probably tell you their world was a lot too alive, a lot of the time.

I’ve worked on the Forgotten Realms every day of my life now for over fifty years, and for over forty of them have been joined by scores of fellow creators, all of us pumping our energies into the setting. So a lot has happened, in-world, and with so much going on, the place certainly seems alive. Some hapless crofters in the Dales or shopkeepers in Waterdeep would probably tell you their world was a lot too alive, a lot of the time.

49D2810C-8FF9-418F-914C-3F27BC0D66F9.jpeg

Some gamers prefer less detail, and may find catching up on all the Realmslore daunting or a time sink or too expensive, but the secret is: you don’t have to use even a tenth of it. It’s there if you need it, to answer a question or save you design time, but most gamers take what they want to, and freelance their own homebrew setting from that standing start.

And all of the years of news and rumors goes a long way towards building the illusion that the place is vast and real and, yes, alive.

Which is certainly better than dead.

I’ve often talked about taking care to avoid this: your FRP setting being a lifeless backdrop, with the lights low and all NPCs frozen in place, dust settling on their eyeballs, until the moment the PCs walk on stage and the lights come up, everyone starts moving and talking, and it’s action time. Players can sense this; their characters are the prime movers in the setting, and nothing happens when they’re away from the world, not playing.

Which makes it all seem a trifle hollow and unsatisfying, and robs the play of some of the fun because the actions of the PCs can shove and shape the world too much.

It’s preferable if the world rolls along, with things happening, while the PCs are resting or recuperating or studying or shut away experimenting with new spells...or incarcerated. And if there’s just one background plot (everyone’s vying to put their pawn on the throne while the old King lies on his deathbed, and suddenly royal heirs start disappearing), the players can still feel as if their PCs are the prime movers, because everything swirls around them and reacts to them.

I’ve always avoided this particular problem by having four or five subplots unfolding at the same time, so the PCs can pick and choose what they want to get involved in, and try to profit from. For instance…

1. Wherever the PCs dwell or move to, daring by-night burglaries happen. Are sneak thieves following them around and using the PCs for cover, knowing the PCs will eventually get blamed?

2. Rival merchant companies (or unofficial cabals) are feuding, with arson and alley knifings and cargo spoilage and thefts, and the PCs are caught in the middle because they’ve been hired by a third party as warehouse or wagon or caravan or pay-packet guards, and are on the spot when some of the feud’s darker deeds erupt.

3. An exporter of live monsters has hired the PCs to live-capture certain local beasts lairing in ruins, but this is going to land them in trouble because local smugglers are using the ruins to cache contraband, and they’re working with an impoverished old-blood noble family with shapeshifting bloodlines, who are controlling or at least goading the monsters to run interference; the PCs may very well end up trapping a shapeshifted—and furious—young noble, perhaps the heir of the house.

4. A royal heir has been threatened with a slow and painful death during the aforementioned quiet struggle for the throne, and has gone to ground locally, hiding in disguise with a handful of trusted and formidable bodyguards. Who don’t want the PCs or anyone else nosing around too closely to certain ruins where they’re now hiding out. With good reason, as another faction is hunting them, seeing this as a golden opportunity for an assassination or capture of the heir, and will assume the PCs are part of the heir’s hired defenses, and act accordingly.

5. Long ago, the king outlawed and exiled a genius inventor whose innovations threatened the crown’s control of society—and the inventor came here and hid. Now elderly and infirm, the inventor has surrounded herself with automaton guardians of her own creation, and will fearfully use them against the PCs, agents of the faction hunting the heir, and the heir’s bodyguards.

6. The crown has never been all that friendly with independent wizards of power and accomplishment, and quietly made it clear that they’ll avoid trouble by maintaining a low profile in the countryside. One such wizard has done so, right here, and now finds trouble has come to them. This mage knows all about the inventor, and is quite willing to seize control of her guardians and use them as defenders or to misdirect anyone who gets too close.

And so on. Now, a fine line has to be walked here, best navigated by DMs who take care to find out the triggers, likes, and dislikes of their players (dungeon crawls or not? Palace intrigue, or draw blades and kill someone?), because no one wants to sit down at the gaming table to relax and get away from real-world problems and stresses—only to find themselves in an imaginary situation that’s even more tense and fraught than real life. Gaming tipples should be optional, not desperately needed!

Plots in fantasy fiction often involve big stakes. The fate of the world may hang in the balance, an ancient evil or god may be on the verge of awakening, or the Magical McGuffin in the wrong hands could unleash devastation on a realm, a continent, or a sacred special spot that harbors a precious last hope for all.

However, plots in an ongoing FRP campaign should be both large and small in stakes and scope, with the small ones in the foreground.

A local merchant wants to burn down the warehouse of a competitor, or a handful-of-coins swindler comes to town. A local official has to enforce an unpopular new royal law or tax, and the resentful common folk react by deceiving the local constabulary to avoid the consequences.

To personally involve or victimize the PCs is to court player dissatisfaction (Hey! Where’s my relief from everyday real-world troubles?), but if the adventurers have been hired by someone affected by events (such as feuding merchants), they’re inevitably involved. The brute-force way to involve aloof PCs is to have them falsely accused or framed, but far better is to bring them into situations where they must make a choice, and then consequences flow from that. When bad things happen to us, we feel better if we had some choice, some say in what unfolded.

It doesn’t have to be complicated; it can be as simple as “Where does our next meal come from?” for the PCs. Suddenly there’s no water; who’s stealing it? It’s draining away underground; who or what in the dungeon down there is diverting it? Only one way to find out, so down we go…

Nor do these setting events and politics have to drag the PCs into involvement in an aggressive and forceful way; they can be a panorama of passing “news of the day” that the PCs can reach into when something catches their eyes.

Right, enough preaching. Every gamer who reads this will do what they want to do and change this or that; it’s what gamers do. ;}

Ed Greenwood

Ed Greenwood

Forgotten Realms Creator

murquhart72

Explorer
I like this. I reminds me of having rumors of werewolves harrowing a nearby forest. If the PCs concentrate on the local ruins (megadungeon) too much for too long, they may find some old, friendly NPCs have become werewolves or even a nice village they enjoyed previously has become a "ghost town" do to lycanthropic hunting.
PCs make choices, and there will always be consequences in a "living" campaign.

The worlds of the RPG are like LEGO, after buying you can create and build as you want, and it has not to be like the showed in the cover of the box.

I would rather to have a lot of details and after I change it as I want than an "empty space".

In many comics the superheroes aren't always saving the world, sometimes only a life, or to defend a little neighbood/district in the city. Other times they have to save themself and to survive.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I would love to see Ed publish expanded notes for all the WotC 5E adventures set in the new, barebone Realms. He could cover additional rumours and plots to help DMs bring the world to life instead of simply running them through the adventure as written.

And I would also love to see "Ed's Realms" where he publishes his own version of the Realms set, say, ten years before Ye Olde Grey Box.

A living, breathing world that is not frozen in time is one reason why I like the Realms more than any of the other settings that have been published by TSR/WotC. A year passes in the real world and a year also passes in the Realms. I know other people want to always be in the same time/year in their setting of choice, but I prefer the idea of this year's adventuring party perhaps hearing stories and rumors of what last year's adventuring party was doing, or going and visiting the kingdom taken over/established by an adventuring party from 5 or 10 years before that.

Derren

Hero
It all depends on your expectations for a living world. On a low level this certainly works and you can have the PCs project a bubble of activity. But still, outside this bubble everything is still frozen.
The Realms suffer from the same problem most other fantasy settings have. Centuries, sometimes even millenia, where nothing happens. No progression in technology (including magic), culture, etc. It doesn't help that in the realms the cultures hardly interact with each other. You have your tropes, the greedy merchant republic, feudal knights, ancient egyptians, etc. all in close proximity to each other but their cultures never interact or influence the others, meaning everything is static.
So when you look at the big picture the FR is anything but living.

Anytimes nothing happens in the fantasy kingdom until the group of heroes appear. I call this the Skywalker effect. In FR sometimes a little group of characters change the History, but not always the same group. In Dragonlance the main characters are in the main happenings.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads