Mallus Rediscovers AD&D

Mallus

Legend
I've found the -10 thing just adds drama over the year. Falling over dead at 0 is a lot less interesting than "you have three rounds to win before your friend is dead."
Absolutely! We've experienced the joys of the plucky goblin (re-skinned halfling) thief (detective) bleeding out during combat twice already.

Welcome back to AD&D. I've been playing it again for a few years, and I was also surprised at how fast it plays -- my memory of the game is that we spent a lot of time looking up/arguing about rules.
I'm finding the game plays much better with (middle-aged) adults than it did with (precocious) teenagers!

Reynard

Legend
Mallus said:
I'm finding the game plays much better with (middle-aged) adults than it did with (precocious) teenagers!

I have come to the realization that AD&D and retroclones are great for immersive, seat of your pants gaming. I had great fun and success with Mutant Future and a few pages of scribbled notes for 30 hours of table time shoved into 5 days recently. My PF games are great too, but I find (for the first time in 20+ years of GMing) that I'm a better GM and we have a better game when using modules.

Treebore

First Post
Simpler is better. At least that is why I returned to the "old school" games, and it sounds like your definitely getting into how "simple" it is.

Ulrick

First Post
I'm envious. I'm running 3.5e now, but I'd rather run AD&D 1e or 2e (or mash up of the two). But I just have to wait for my current campaign to end. Just three more months...

tenkar

Old School Blogger
My group just switched (earlier tonight) to a heavily houseruled OD&D game from Tunnels & Trolls - yes, it's an Old School Group, can you tell?

I find that the simpler the rules, the less time using the rules and the more time spent playing. You mileage may vary tho ;)

dagger

Adventurer
I'm a little afraid of Dragonsfoot... maybe after a strong drink (or two!). I do read Grognardia... though I prefer Zak S. to James M. when it comes to writing about the old-school D&D.

Me too! (and thanks).

Dragonsfoot is very friendly for 1e and 2e....

You can ask any question and if you happen to not play by the book you will not get blasted.

Imperialus

Explorer
Dragonsfoot is very friendly for 1e and 2e....

You can ask any question and if you happen to not play by the book you will not get blasted.

Yeah, Dragonsfoot's got a pretty good group of people in it. Knights and Knaves is a bit more fractious and limited in scope (I mean Dragonsfoot has a C&C forum!) but they aren't as scary as they are sometimes made out to be.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm envious. I'm running 3.5e now, but I'd rather run AD&D 1e or 2e (or mash up of the two). But I just have to wait for my current campaign to end. Just three more months...
I felt that way for years. (When did the last issue of the Age of Worms come out? Kyuss' stat-block was when I decided I was done DMing 3.5 as soon as my campaign ended.) The campaign should be done before Christmas. When it resumes, it'll probably be C&C (with additions from Pathfinder, like the two forms of spontaneous casting for clerics).

Last edited:

Remove ads