Mallus Rediscovers AD&D

Treebore

First Post
Dragonsfoot is very friendly for 1e and 2e....

You can ask any question and if you happen to not play by the book you will not get blasted.

The only problem with DF is if you in any way, shape or form even MENTION even the very existence of any other edition of D&D. IF you even dare to do any kind of compare and contrast, WATCH OUT!

So if you talk only 1E or 2E or OD&D, you'll be OK, but don't even mention your even aware "other" things called D&D exist.

They do have a forum where you can talk about other games, though. Just not "other" RPG games called D&D.

They are very, very sensitive about that.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, Dragonsfoot's got a pretty good group of people in it. Knights and Knaves is a bit more fractious and limited in scope (I mean Dragonsfoot has a C&C forum!) but they aren't as scary as they are sometimes made out to be.

They are a good forum. However, like I posted before, do not mention in any way the "other" RPG's called D&D. They get very bent out of shape, immediately.

So if you remember nothing but 2E and earlier exist, D&D wise, your going to have a good experience. Forget that, and they get ugly.

Ulrick

First Post
I felt that way for years. (When did the last issue of the Age of Worms come out? Vecna's stat-block was when I decided I was done DMing 3.5 as soon as my campaign ended.) The campaign should be done before Christmas. When it resumes, it'll probably be C&C (with additions from Pathfinder, like the two forms of spontaneous casting for clerics).

June 2006 (5 years ago!). Yeah, Vecna's 2.5 page stat-block... Fortunately there is a Mt. Zogon comic at the end to bring some levity. I just wonder how many DMs made Vecna easier to kill just because they didn't want to put up with keeping track everything -- especially if some of his minions are lurking about (some of which only have half-page stat blocks.

And, it was about that time I posted this thread here on Enworld:

3.5 Stat Blocks Kill My Creativity

The funny is that I kept playing 3.5e after that old campaign ended... I tried to get players who'd play something else, and we did play a short Warhammer Fantasy Role Play campaign, but alas...

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm happy to hear that I wasn't the only DM turned off of 3.5 from the end of Age of Worms. The Vecna stat block was just the cherry on top, the entire experience of play above level 15 wasn't pleasent.

I should check DF to see if any one needs an RC player. Do they have any digital bloodhounds or anyone that rolled well enough to get some of those 1e psionic powers to weed out those that own/have played 3.x/4e? :p (or are they so old school over there that playing online is taboo?)

dagger

Adventurer
I'm happy to hear that I wasn't the only DM turned off of 3.5 from the end of Age of Worms. The Vecna stat block was just the cherry on top, the entire experience of play above level 15 wasn't pleasent.

I should check DF to see if any one needs an RC player. Do they have any digital bloodhounds or anyone that rolled well enough to get some of those 1e psionic powers to weed out those that own/have played 3.x/4e? :p (or are they so old school over there that playing online is taboo?)

There are online and play by post old school games.

Aus_Snow

First Post
They tend to do pbp only, but I have found several of them "modern" enough to play online using Maptools and SKYPE.
Yeah well, it is an internet forum, to begin with. :p

Fantastic that AD&D is working out well for you, Mallus. It certainly can be a blast! :cool:

I'm still waiting for a full-on, unashamed, psychadelic, balls to the wall, phantasmagorical, dungeon-centric, idiosyncratic AD&D 1e... movie, um, thing. :D Personally, I think it would be a great idea. Can't imagine why it's never been done. :hmm:

A

amerigoV

June 2006 (5 years ago!). Yeah, Vecna's 2.5 page stat-block...

Strahd's 2 page stat block in EtCR is what killed 3.5 for me. I had just finished Lich Queen and was looking to run horror...but not 2 page stat block horror.

I have not gone retro, but I get the same "warm fuzzy" from Savage Worlds. I think I could enjoy a 1e game so long as AC goes up and clerics can spontaneously cast healing spells.

Remove ads