Mana, Shamans, and the Cultural Misappropriation behind Fantasy Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Loving the various games which are making money off his works but hating the author is especially silly.
Why? Lovecraft is not getting that money, he's dead. Also, it is possible to like some aspects of artist's work whilst simultaneously acknowledging that the artist was a horrible human being. Or at least it is possible to me, the same might not apply to everyone.

Why? Lovecraft is not getting that money, he's dead. Also, it is possible to like some aspects of artist's work whilst simultaneously acknowledging that the artist was a horrible human being. Or at least it is possible to me, the same might not apply to everyone.

I happen to know for a fact that one of the commentors in this very thread is a huge fan of Primeval Thule, which was enormously influenced by Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft. Strange that it didn't seem troublesome to him while he ran his campaign.

MGibster

Legend
If you were trying to put it within the context of his era, then you would not be downplaying his racism as you are, as he was a conspiracy theorist loon, white supremacist, and Nazi sympathizer even by the standards of his day.

Where did I downplay his racism?

Slaad anyone? And Derro. Read Derro in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. They're an insane race of dwarves. Besides, there nothing wrong with depicting an entire imaginary race in a negative light.
Yep...we can take out all of the negative stereotypes from the game. The lore is there in D&D as a way to give motivation for the monsters' actions. It is there simply as a guideline.

That's the thing about lore...if you don't like it, don't use it.

There is no rule in the PhB or DMG that says that you can't change the lore. Mind Flayers aren't really evil and do not actually want to eat your brains...those tentacles are just so they can give your face a big ol' hug! Completely misunderstood.

Ooo...people could even rename the entire game for their campaigns...something like Fluffies and Bunnies or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads