Level Up (A5E) Maneuvers (2nd and 3rd level) - Winners and Losers

Stalker0

Legend
Time to dig in to the 2nd and 3rd tier maneuvers.

2nd Tier
Winners
Shrug it Off - They ability to knock off both fear and stuns is very solid depends on the kind of monsters the DM likes to use. This can be very powerful.

Parrying Counter - A combination of both AC boost and the chance of getting in an extra attack, this one is just solid.

Twist the Blade - Now THIS is a crit maneuver! What makes it so great is its guaranteed to work when you activate it. Its also one of those I think a lot of players will love. They will roll the die, see they were so close to a crit and get discouraged....and then suddenly remember they have this maneuver, and then suddenly gets in a crit! That's the stuff players will just love, so its a solid bonus AND solid fun.

Back to Back - The AC bonus is already solid, but add in a precious reaction for more maneuver power, sign me up!

Primal Intercept - For a front liner taking a lot of hits, this is a solid way to just get in more attacks, probably the easiest of the "extra attack" maneuvers to pull off.

Deflect Strike - For a tanky character, its one of the best maneuvers you can get. Just absorbs a solid amount of raw pain, and the fact that you can make the attack miss (which may remove secondary effects) just makes it even better.

Losers
Trickshot - This is one of those things that I think should just be between the DM and the Player. This can be fun sure, but there is no mechanical oomph. I don't really see the purpose of this maneuver to even exist.

Agile Feint - A nice maneuver but too costly at 2 exertion and a bonus action. There are lots of ways to get advantage, and rogues who would be the main class to use this always have several ways to get advantage.

Double Tackle - There are first level maneuvers that cost 2 exertion that frankly I think are just better than this maneuver. Yes the autofail can be really cool...but it requires your action, your buddies reaction, and both of you to go prone. That sounds fun against a legendary creature until it uses a legendary resistance and the wails on two prone targets. I could maybe see this one at 2 exertion (but still it requires your full action!), but at 3....no way.

3rd Tier
Winners
Blindshot - What makes this cool to me is that it both helps you find an invisible enemy, but also gives your party the immediate whereabouts so that they can pile on. Its that combo + its cheap cost that works for me.

Missile Volley - Theoretically one of the highest damage maneuvers if you do it right, and at a reasonable exertion cost.

Heightened Reflexes - For people who want to "nova" this is probably one of the best combo maneuvers. It mostly gets this rating for me for just the theoretical combos you can do with getting two reactions in a round.

Redirect - A worthy upgrade from deflect strike, the fact that this is an int save (which is very very low for many melee monsters) is what sells this. Its a nigh guaranteed damage removal + getting a chance to hit an enemy with possibly a very nasty attack.

Drive Back - Now on the one hand, its 2 exertion and your action (though you do get one attack). But what makes this cool is the automatic function, you want a monster to move back, its moves back! further there is no size limitation here, you can drive the Tarrasque back with this maneuver! I think clever parties will find a way to really milk this ability.

Wild Capering - This maneuver packs a lot of utility into a small package. 30 feet of extra move, a climb speed, and the ability to jump a full 10 feet straight up with no check, all for 1 exertion.

Losers
Unbreakable - This is a very niche maneuver, though granted you are going to really like this maneuver when you need it. But 3 exertion is too costly, it basically means either a character is hoarding a large amount of their exertion just in case they need it (which is boring) or they spend their exertion and never get to this maneuver anyway (so its useless). I would rather it be like 1 exertion but maybe only usuable once a fight or something.

**Launched Strike - So the only time I could think to use this maneuver, is with a ranger making an attack and wanting to max out their trained accuracy and just go for a big crit....while on a mount. I feel like its probably decent there, but it seems a very niche use, and there are many many nice maneuvers at this point in the game to choose from. Otherwise this thing looks like garbage for every other class that gets spirited steed.

Sacrifice Mount - Maneuvers like redirect or just better than this. They can negate damage entirely, not kill your likely already fragile mount.

Expert Sidestep - Again when you look at deflect strike or redirect or even mind over body, this just doesn't seem as good. It works on only one attack, and you have to pay for the chance of a miss as opposed to a guaranteed reduction of damage.

getquarked

Explorer
No disagreements here. I think Parrying Counter Should be moved to "Super Winner" because you basically build Duelist fighter around that and the "Parry and Thrust" feature to get 3 off-turn attacks in at level 7 off of a creature that misses you twice. (the balance here is that all these bonuses for duelist, the counter, and the parry only really impact one single creature, if that creature attacks twice.)

purplkrush

Villager
I like your breakdown but disagree with Sacrifice Mount. It's not the most maximized maneuver available but grants a lesser version of another choice for someone who may not have access to that Tradition or is more concerned with themed than Min/Max. Lots of interesting combos that could require certain choices over others.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
I like your breakdown but disagree with Sacrifice Mount. It's not the most maximized maneuver available but grants a lesser version of another choice for someone who may not have access to that Tradition or is more concerned with themed than Min/Max. Lots of interesting combos that could require certain choices over others.
I think Sacrifice Mount belongs in the "looser" category because i doubt it would ever get used. I've yet to see a player willing to sacrifice their beloved pets. I've seen a lot more emotion at animal companion death than at PC deaths. I think the maneuver would get a lot more use if the PC could take the hit rather than the mount.

Is Gaze Of Conviction suppost to end after 1 enemy turn? Does a spellcaster have to use the attack action? The last paragraph makes it seem like the enemy would have to keep moving toward you and attacking every turn until you attack someone else or the creature can't attack you?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases