• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Manticores will have beards again in 4E

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Delta said:
Admittedly, the 3E manticore art design was ill-considered.

And I want my D&D rhinoceros to actually look like that above. ^
Which would be fun. And then I would accept the bearded-face-manticore. Perhaps D&D needs to fine a common line. Having "realistic" manticores and harpies side-by-side with sphinxes and lamias... is half-hearted. They should go one of these routes, not both at once.

Cheers, LT.

Lord Tirian said:
Which would be fun. And then I would accept the bearded-face-manticore. Perhaps D&D needs to fine a common line. Having "realistic" manticores and harpies side-by-side with sphinxes and lamias... is half-hearted. They should go one of these routes, not both at once.

Um, why? With the plethora of cultures, regions, and sources (both magical and, at least in fantasy terms, mundane) for monsters, why on Earth should a game as broad-based as D&D restrict itself to one way or the other?

Honestly, I've never had a problem with a world that contained both man-faced manticores and more bestial sphinxes. I simply assume they come from different areas and have very different backgrounds. Sure, maybe some settings should restrict themselves to one or the other, but to suggest the game do so is, I think, both unnecessary and shortsighted.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Um, why? With the plethora of cultures, regions, and sources (both magical and, at least in fantasy terms, mundane) for monsters, why on Earth should a game as broad-based as D&D restrict itself to one way or the other?
Oops, I've missed a point in my comment: I only referred my post to real-world myths. If you take that much real world mythic beasts, then keep to one interpretation for them (i.e. for the partially human beasts). If you introduce your own creatures (i.e. non-adapted creatures), you can run wild.

If taking differing interpretations on mythology beasts is okay in your eyes as well, why the problems with the monstrous manticore? (this probably sounds more snarky, than intended. Please don't assume snark in it!)

Cheers, LT.

Lord Tirian said:
If taking differing interpretations on mythology beasts is okay in your eyes as well, why the problems with the monstrous manticore? (this probably sounds more snarky, than intended. Please don't assume snark in it!)

I don't have a "problem" with the monstrous manticore, exactly. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me one way or the other. It's just that, given the choice, I prefer the "human-faced" variation.

Klaus

First Post
I attached the cover to Counter Collection Gold. To the left of the troll you can see my version of the Manticore, which is a bit of a halfway between the original, "fatbeard" version and the current "nuclear mutant" version. I strived to make the face human-like with a bit of leonine features, and remnants of a mane.

The cover shows troll, manticore, minotaur, vrock, pegasus, djinn, storm giant, copper dragon, couatl, centaur and owlbear.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ccgold_cover.jpg
    ccgold_cover.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 368

Pale

First Post
I say if you're going to pull the name from real-world mythology, stick to the source. If you want a nuclear mutant, come up with a different name.

It even bugged me when Gygax did it in 1E.

Soel

First Post
I totally hope for something closer to the 3e manticore. This new pic looks like a step back in the wrong direction.

The more human faced critters just elicit a response of laughter from my players. I challenge anyone to provide a cool, non guffaw-inducing picture of say, a SHEDU...

BTW, Klaus, I really love your minotaur and troll (with bite-flap arms!)

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
Soel said:
The more human faced critters just elicit a response of laughter from my players. I challenge anyone to provide a cool, non guffaw-inducing picture of say, a SHEDU...

Mythologically, Shedu and lammasu are pretty much the same thing, so I'd say this is a pretty non-guffaw-inducing picture.

BTW: Klaus, those beasties are wonderfully inspiring. I like that manticore; well done. Your artwork skill has grown exponentially over the last few years.

And what exactly is the vulture-man one?

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Klaus said:
I attached the cover to Counter Collection Gold. To the left of the troll you can see my version of the Manticore, which is a bit of a halfway between the original, "fatbeard" version and the current "nuclear mutant" version. I strived to make the face human-like with a bit of leonine features, and remnants of a mane.
Hey, that's a nice-looking manticore! (As far as the critter can look nice, of course. :) )

Klaus, have you ever done pictures of the various sphinxes? I think the gynosphinx in MM looks good, but we're missing the other sphinxes...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads