D&D General Map Making Tools

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm starting a series on comparing map making tools.......

The first shows 4 maps I made in 3-5 minutes using four different tools. Note: I have barely used two of the tools before today......and two of the tools (maybe three) aren't really map making tools at all! I'll post a YouTube video soon, and then better write ups on each tool in the coming weeks.

The four tools:
Dungeondraft (that map needs some work!)
Flowscape (the first map I've saved in this tool)
Game Master Engine (another tool I've barely used)
Wildshape (maybe my 10th map, but I've only really spent time "perfecting" one map before this)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I used Wonderdraft a lot for some of my larger regional or world maps.

Currently, I use inkarnate for like... encounter or interior maps.

I'd be interested in how these fair at interior map making, the article mostly looks like these are just a similar exterior scene.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I used Wonderdraft a lot for some of my larger regional or world maps.

Currently, I use inkarnate for like... encounter or interior maps.

I'd be interested in how these fair at interior map making, the article mostly looks like these are just a similar exterior scene.
Interior is next! Two are not good at it, yet.... also, much deeper dives into each

Retreater

Legend
I am using Dungeondraft for interiors. I got one month on Inknarnate and don't especially like it, so I'll probably cancel. The overland maps are an unusual isometric view that I just can't get the hang of. Like I just want to do a simple "top down" regional map. Everything looks "arty" and slanted, so you can't get a realistic perspective that is useful for measuring distance, movement, etc.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am using Dungeondraft for interiors. I got one month on Inknarnate and don't especially like it, so I'll probably cancel. The overland maps are an unusual isometric view that I just can't get the hang of. Like I just want to do a simple "top down" regional map. Everything looks "arty" and slanted, so you can't get a realistic perspective that is useful for measuring distance, movement, etc.
Wonderdraft is GREAT for over land maps. Great.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Only have a couple of real 'beefs' with Inkarnate in regard to interior design.
1) I find it difficult or unintuitive to make just shapes.
2) I need more options for stamps and the like.

Something like you see in the kickstarter for dungeon alchemist. Where you can click-drag a shape into being a room or building. That would really make interior map making great. Though, would have to wait and see what this proposed new tool actually delivers.

Remove ads