• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Maps on D&DBeyond

Truth be told, for the most part I could have a dozen or so maps that would suit my personal needs because I do most exploration as ToTM. So if I could buy a predefined city block with buildings (interior and exterior) mapped out along with generic outdoor and cavern maps, maybe some temples where I could swap out some visuals I'd be all set.
Same pretty much yeah. I enjoyed using a big roll-out erasable map for a long time but we haven't really used it since 4E. At the same time I've playing via Zoom etc. I somehow need to use a map a bit more than I do IRL, both as a player and a DM.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Software developers having different ideas of how to solve problems is just kind of par for the course. Put two software developers in a room and they'll likely come out with at least 3 different and completely valid solutions. :)
I knew a software developer that used to come up with 3 valid solutions every Monday. for about 6 months, I was supervising him and he would drag me into a meeting room and go "I have done A,B and C and I can go X,Y or Z" and I would have to tell him "X and Z are scope creep, go Y".

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I have had a more thorough look at the map tool and I was pleasantly surprised. I ran an encounter, without players, created a campaign, pc characters and used the encounter builder to create the encounter and manage initiative.
The maptool is pretty basic but with a map with a grid I would say workable. If one could label the npc token it would be quite serviceable.
I must actually try it with actual players but as a lightweight tool it shows promise.
The biggest gripes I would have are:
Token selection it should automatically filter to monster from sources one already owns (The encounter builder should do the same)
One should be able to drag encounters onto a map or prelink encounters with maps.

It is not that difficult to download maps from an adventure on D&DBeyond (I tried with the free version of Lost Mine) and upload it to the VTT.
I honestly have more issues with the encounter tool than with the VTT as it stands or even with its proposed features.

Oofta

Legend
I have had a more thorough look at the map tool and I was pleasantly surprised. I ran an encounter, without players, created a campaign, pc characters and used the encounter builder to create the encounter and manage initiative.
The maptool is pretty basic but with a map with a grid I would say workable. If one could label the npc token it would be quite serviceable.
I must actually try it with actual players but as a lightweight tool it shows promise.
The biggest gripes I would have are:
Token selection it should automatically filter to monster from sources one already owns (The encounter builder should do the same)
One should be able to drag encounters onto a map or prelink encounters with maps.

It is not that difficult to download maps from an adventure on D&DBeyond (I tried with the free version of Lost Mine) and upload it to the VTT.
I honestly have more issues with the encounter tool than with the VTT as it stands or even with its proposed features.

Well, the encounter tool is still in beta. ;)

My concern about 3d VTTs is it takes a lot more skill and time to create a 3d model than it does to draw a couple of rooms an a piece of graph paper. When D&D started out anyone could create their own adventure and tell their own story. This is moving towards the professionalisation of adventure creation.

Oofta

Legend
My concern about 3d VTTs is it takes a lot more skill and time to create a 3d model than it does to draw a couple of rooms an a piece of graph paper. When D&D started out anyone could create their own adventure and tell their own story. This is moving towards the professionalisation of adventure creation.
We'll still have Maps if you don't want to hassle with 3D. But the previews have all talked about purchasing a package and then being able to use assets from that package, along with opening up packages to others to share. There's a lot of video games that do very similar things, have the main game and then people build mods. I've never had the desire or skill to create mods, but I enjoy playing using them. Hopefully the 3D VTT will be similar. Time will tell of course.

I don't see sitting at the dining room table drawing with dry erase markers going away any time soon.

Remove ads