Maps/Tiles or Dry/Wet Erase?

darjr

I crit!
I've found tiles like the ones put forth by Paizo and WOTC to be impractical to use unless you set up a scenario beforehand.

An old friend stole my Tact-tiles. :mad:

I currently use the Magna-Map Combat Grid and it's awesome. It's heavier, almost metallic, stays flat, plus you can get any object to stick to it by adding a magnetic base!

I recently ordered TerraClips buildings and streets set. Hopefully, they are as awesome and easy as they look in the videos posted [how awesome would it be to build out any building by clipping together a few pieces?].

Are these the same guys that make the 'clings'. static terrain? Thanks for the link, I didn't know they sold through Paizo.

Edit: Yes they are... http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/d/darkPlatypusStudios/v5748btpy8h5h

The Human Target

Adventurer
I use...

1 inch grid easel paper (which is pretty huge) with permanent markers of various colors. Maps prepared beforehand.

Crap loads of WotC Dungeon Tiles, stuck to large sheets of black poster board with sticky tack. Maps prepared beforehand.

A large thing double sided Chessex dry erase battlemap usually for maps needed on the fly.

All work well, depending on the situation.

I currently have a large dungeon set up with Dungeon Tiles on two sets of poster board (like 8 or 9 rooms) plus three rooms done on one large sheet of grid paper.

Tanstaafl_au

Explorer
I have a lot of maps (every DDM one, many from modules and online via cafepress), and use them for suitable encounters. Many are laminated so I *could* write over them, but I don't.

I own a mass of the D&D tiles, really only use the outdoor ones in great detail - make for good random terrian/features during journeys etc.
Sometimes I will use my work's copy photocopier to print out A3 maps I like. I'll lamiate them if i think I will resue.

Most of the time I use my magnetic wet erase map ( Shop — Catalog Products — Magna-Map Combat Grid | Dark Platypus Studio ) which goes with my alea tools. (Alea Tools - Stackable Magnetic Markers!) & minis.

I like my gaming toys :)

MarauderX

Explorer
I usually use Tact-Tiles, but I also have a bunch of Paizo Flipmats and some other poster-size maps. I prefer dry erase, and won't use wet erase. I'm looking forward to seeing how Crayola Dry Erase Crayons work versus standard dry erase markers. My preliminary tests show that accidental erasing is MUCH more difficult, though it's still pretty easy to erase on purpose and way less messy that any kind of marker.

Tact-tiles are the best game product I own. I use poster putty to place wizards tiles when I use them, use Haba blocks (1" scale) to create elevations, and use markers for secret rooms, initiative, notes, etc.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Just cleaned my wet-erase map today. The process takes foreeeeeeeeever...

Ink gets dried onto this thing if it stays on for even an hour or two. It's usually dried in by the time we're done with one decent-sized encounter.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Just cleaned my wet-erase map today. The process takes foreeeeeeeeever...

Ink gets dried onto this thing if it stays on for even an hour or two. It's usually dried in by the time we're done with one decent-sized encounter.

Go back over the lines you drew that dried with another wet-erase marker. Then wipe them both off. It'll do the trick, and you'll find it'll erase easier.

Remove ads