Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

gyor

Legend
Mearls said they make announcements about 3 months ahead of release, so we won't know anything officially until June. There is speculation of course, but then everyone "knew" Marathon was going to be a planar book, but MToF isn't totally planar (I doubt the dwarf or gnome sections will be planar at all).

Gnomes and Halfling still have Gods. MTOF isn't a 100% Planar, but it's still very planar, so I don't consider it wrong.

Gnomes and Halfling still have Gods. MTOF isn't a 100% Planar, but it's still very planar, so I don't consider it wrong.

I think a lot of people (including me) thought it was going to be a more general planar book, not necessarily about conflicts (although the three biggest conflicts [Blood War, elves, and gith/mind flayers] are pretty planar), and there was some disappointment based more on anticipation than facts about the upcoming book. I have come around to the notion that conflict is an interesting way to frame a splat book (and "think about the impacts of the major conflict [or lack thereof] in your campaign" is something that many DM's can probably use). Of course, I wouldn't turn down Modron #213897's Manual of the Multiverse at some future date....

At any rate, I wouldn't put too much faith in what we "know" until the official release comes out. Speculation is fun, but it is probably for the best not to get too invested in a particular speculation.

gyor

Legend
I think a lot of people (including me) thought it was going to be a more general planar book, not necessarily about conflicts (although the three biggest conflicts [Blood War, elves, and gith/mind flayers] are pretty planar), and there was some disappointment based more on anticipation than facts about the upcoming book. I have come around to the notion that conflict is an interesting way to frame a splat book (and "think about the impacts of the major conflict [or lack thereof] in your campaign" is something that many DM's can probably use). Of course, I wouldn't turn down Modron #213897's Manual of the Multiverse at some future date....

At any rate, I wouldn't put too much faith in what we "know" until the official release comes out. Speculation is fun, but it is probably for the best not to get too invested in a particular speculation.

I knew it was going to be some kind of twist on the Planar Theme and that it was going to include material for multiple settings.

Every book is pretty planar. I mean they are pretty flat. Kind of close to the definition of a plane after all. And in geometry class don't they always hold up a sheet of paper to give an example of a plane? MTOF is just a bunch of sheets of paper...

Herosmith14

First Post
Every book is pretty planar. I mean they are pretty flat. Kind of close to the definition of a plane after all. And in geometry class don't they always hold up a sheet of paper to give an example of a plane? MTOF is just a bunch of sheets of paper...

I like the smart Alek comment, but I hated geometry class. Either way, the only reason I would want a multi setting/planar book is for fluff and descriptions. I can fill in the rest udingbtgat inspiration in my own setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Given that there will be a themed special dice set, and that Broadway coincides with the new AL season, we can be extremely confident that it will be the big AP of the year.

Catacomb is the interesting wild card; another Tales from the Yawning Portal is possible, or a second source book in one year. We shall see soon enough.

Given that there will be a themed special dice set, and that Broadway coincides with the new AL season, we can be extremely confident that it will be the big AP of the year.

If it's a planar adventure, they really should make that dice set have an Acheron theme. I mean, it only makes sense!

Remove ads

Remove ads