Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

bmfrosty

Explorer
Xanathar's Guide: honestly, this might be a clue, or it might be nothing. Given the heavy planar and Lantan clues, I'm leaning towards nothing.
The Xanathar's linked AL adventure gives a story award that compels the character to try and kill the Xanathar.

GarrettKP

Explorer
It should be noted that Dice Camera Action tonight hinted strongly that next season is taking place in Waterdeep and Undermountain. It’s looking more and more likely that those are the next Adventure books.

GarrettKP

Explorer
What, precisely, was said?

Its a bit of a long explanation but here it goes:

SPOILERS!

One of the characters got to talk to her dead father this episode, and he mentioned that he died in Undermountain and his remains are still there. He also mentioned an evil family that has fallen into worship of Shar that he was apparently trying to deal with. He died to a Vampire in the complex.

They also introduced evil doppelgängers of the characters, and the leader of the Doppleganger group is a Shar worshiper. This also works with a vision Diath had of Paultin a few episodes back where a dark doppleganger of Paultin (that looked like Strahd, which this episodes version also does) was ruling over Waterdeep using the Ring of Winter.

There’s been a lot of foreshadowing to a Waterdeep/Undermountain connection, and apparently a group (Cult?) of Shar worshipers is heavily involved.

On Nathan's Fireside chat this past Friday, Kate Welch confirmed there will be three releases this Autumn. Interestingly, they have not given a codeword for this fourth 2018 release. I reckon this 'extra' release may be the one that makes certain fans happy. My money is either on a planar guide to the multiverse - including stuff on various campaign settings - and perhaps a sprinkle of Spelljammer. Mike Meals is on record saying they want to surprise people.

I wouldn't speculate on Broadway and Catacombs; this mystery release is probably where the tasty treats are at.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
On Nathan's Fireside chat this past Friday, Kate Welch confirmed there will be three releases this Autumn. Interestingly, they have not given a codeword for this fourth 2018 release. I reckon this 'extra' release may be the one that makes certain fans happy. My money is either on a planar guide to the multiverse - including stuff on various campaign settings - and perhaps a sprinkle of Spelljammer. Mike Meals is on record saying they want to surprise people.

I wouldn't speculate on Broadway and Catacombs; this mystery release is probably where the tasty treats are at.

If surpring people is the intent a Planar book won't do that. Still I have no idea what book number 4 will be.

If surpring people is the intent a Planar book won't do that. Still I have no idea what book number 4 will be.

I didn't mean simply a planar guide/Manual of the Planes; I meant a guide to the Multiverse which covers Planes but also incorporates information/mechanics for using the various published campaign settings such as Greyhawk, Krynn, Eberron etc plus how to reach them - portals, astral conduits, Spelljammers etc. I believe either Jersey Crawford or Mearls mentioned this was the year the Multiverse would be brought to the fore so this would make sense. It's the kind of book a lot of people have mentioned they would like to see.

Still, this is all speculation as I don't have a clue.

Dried

Explorer

Was it confirmed this 4th release is a physical book?
Could it not be a digital supplement like the Tortle Package?

Remove ads

Remove ads