Mark of passage+fey pact boon?

zillah

First Post
Would like to know if my pact boon is affected by this feat. Feat says any shift power or teleport power I add 1 more square to the power. thoughts?

Kordeth

First Post
Your pact boon is not a power, so you don't get the extra square of teleportation any more than you get to shift two squares by taking the Shift move action.

zillah

First Post
Pact Boon: Each pact includes a pact boon. The
pact boon is a granted power you can use to further
hex your enemies.

thats from the PHB. It says power, anyone else got opinions either for or nay?

LightPhoenix

First Post
I think it's ambiguous.

I would agree as it is presented currently they are powers, as that is what the text says.

However, in the PHB, every class feature that is a power (Mage Hand, Lay on Hands, Healing/Inspiring Word, etc) is presented as a power under the powers section of the class. The Warlock pact boons are not. Furthermore, AP doesn't once refer to the pact boons as powers. Neither the feats in PHB nor AP refer to the pact boons as powers. Finally, they don't have keywords, a fundamental part of the power design. This suggests to me that they are not intended to be powers.

My suspicion is that poor wording was used in the pact boon explanation.

willows

First Post

Agreed. Power, as a term of art, is one of those things in a box that has keywords and stuf. There are other class features that do grant powers in this sense, and those are expressed in the power format; Channel Divinity abilities are among these, as well as the druid's Wild Shape, and the warlock itself has specific powers granted by the pact feature.

Pact boons are expressed in the class feature format, not the power format.

Thundershield

First Post
I think it's ambiguous.

I would agree as it is presented currently they are powers, as that is what the text says.

However, in the PHB, every class feature that is a power (Mage Hand, Lay on Hands, Healing/Inspiring Word, etc) is presented as a power under the powers section of the class. The Warlock pact boons are not. Furthermore, AP doesn't once refer to the pact boons as powers. Neither the feats in PHB nor AP refer to the pact boons as powers. Finally, they don't have keywords, a fundamental part of the power design. This suggests to me that they are not intended to be powers.

I don't wanna throw a monkey wrench in your machinery, but I looked up the pact boons in the D&D Compendium, where they've each got a stat block just like any other power.

You're right about them not having keywords, however, but other powers don't have that, such as the racial powers Elven Accuracy or Second Chance, so I wouldn't say keywords are -that- fundamental, but yes, Misty Step, which is a teleport doesn't have the Teleportation keyword, so I get your point.

But yes, I'd have to agree with you. The pact boons are class features, not powers. Similarly there's path features and destiny features, which also aren't powers, even if they let you shift or teleport. Ultimately this means that the Mark of Passage is of limited use, unless you actually make a character around powers that allow you to teleport or shift via powers (such as the Warlock power, Ethereal Sidestep).

Ryujin

Legend
I would say no, the Mark doesn't give bonus movement to Misty Step. If that's what you want, take Improved Misty Step instead. If you just want to be a pain in the neck with teleport then take the mark and at 10th level take Ethereal Sidestep, for an at-will 2 square teleport movement.

DonAdam

Explorer
So Healer's Lore doesn't add to Healing Word? Despite the PHB II feat that says it does?

I don't have a firm opinion, I just think there's a fuzzy line here.

Last edited:

Remove ads