• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mark of the Wyrm

Redclaw

First Post
Seems kind of pointless to me. Garren's gruff voice sounds from the wall that he's been leaning disinterestedly against. What's the point in having a sword that heals the wounds it makes? If I stab something, I want it to stay stabbed.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Grogan (Half-Orc Barbarian); HP: 31

As the young lord takes up the sword Grogan quickly snaps out of his feverish recovery from the social assault with his breathing settling back to normal. He eyes the Lord, the blade, and the strange event that transpires carefully.

He stands up from his seat and strides over the to the Lord and says "What happens when you are injured and you injure someone with the blade?" and gestures to be given the blade and then to Kevin.

He smiles broadly to Kevin.

Ambrus

Explorer
The small maroon dragon watches the half-orc brute's sudden enthusiasm to wield the blade with a measure of trepidation. "You yourself being a runebearer, it might be wise to hold off on trying to wield that runesword until you have some idea of how you and it are related. The magic of your two runes might react adversely to each other..."

Bloodcookie

Explorer
Ambrus said:
Vorastrix snakes his head around to regard the scholarly seeming half-orc with an appraising saurian eye. "You've researched this matter yourself? Might I ask why and how?"

Carfal hesitates for a moment, a pensive look on his face. It passes, and nodding to the reptile he says, "I apologize for being so close-lipped; the fact is, I, too, bear the mark. When news of it reached my temple, the brothers and I were understandably interested in discerning its nature. Our lack of progress is what brought me here," he says with a bashful grin.

As Ashchenon demonstrates the sword's properties, Carfal simply shakes his head. "I've not come across anything like it, though admittedly matters of the arcane are hardly my specialty."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Logan

Logan carefuly inspects the sword, especialy trying to find or recognize who and when made it. Then to the mark itself.

Turning to Vorastrix Are you sure it's a Mark of the Wyrm? My family had not contact with dragons of any kind back unto eleven generations. At least none that was kept in our genealogy.
Logan returns sword when asked and watches the demonstration with interest.

I am here for the same reason. Dumathoin indicated that answer to origin of the mark can be found on the surface. And that is about all that can be found out by divination. And it's obvious slightly pointing toward the scribe that surface gods priesthoods know not more.

Do we all bear the mark? If so, this is more then just a random event. There are great events in the future.

You seem to know more then the rest of us, little dragon. Could you be sent by Llorranos Fyr himself? Even if not, would you share your knowledge with us?

Ambrus

Explorer
Bloodcookie said:
Carfal simply shakes his head. "I've not come across anything like it, though admittedly matters of the arcane are hardly my specialty."
It's polished claws clicking lightly on the rune engraved tabletop, Vorastrix turns its head sideways to regard the scholarly half-orc's priestly regalia intently with one glowing eye. "Seeing as how the sword's power is to heal its bearer's wounds, I'd venture to say that it is more likely divine than arcane in nature."
Neurotic said:
Turning to Vorastrix Are you sure it's a Mark of the Wyrm? My family had not contact with dragons of any kind back unto eleven generations. At least none that was kept in our genealogy.
The small maroon dragon snakes its head around to regard the dwarf. "It certainly is at that. And eleven dwarven generations isn't so long for a wyrm after all."
Neurotic said:
Do we all bear the mark? If so, this is more then just a random event. There are great events in the future.
The drakeling pauses in momentary uncertainty before sinuously circling in place on all fours and lifting a wing to reveal its left flank for the benefit of those assembled. In the dim candlelight the rune is clearly visible as a pattern of darker scales studding its reptilian hide.
Neurotic said:
You seem to know more then the rest of us, little dragon. Could you be sent by Llorranos Fyr himself? Even if not, would you share your knowledge with us?
Vorastrix pulls the corners of its mouth back into a crocodile's smile in amusement. "The draconologies I've studied fell silent about Llorranos Fyr several centuries ago. Nothing more has been heard about him since. The drakeling cocks its saurian head to the side in the reptilian equivalent of a shrug."I'm barely seven years old myself. Sorry to disappoint."

Vorastrix snakes its head around to address the Lord. "Has arcane magic been used to determine any other properties of the blade yet my Lord? If not, I could do so now."[sblock=Tharune]Having researched Llorranos Fyr in the Cult of Dragon's library, might Vorastrix know something more about the red wyrm? You mentioned for instance that he was a somewhat famous dragon a few centuries earlier. What was he famous for doing exactly? You mentioned that he was powerful. How big a strong was he known to be? What was the last event in which he was known to be involved? Whereabouts in the Heartlands was he known to claim as territory? Was any person or group ever known to have confronted him?

If it helps, Vorastrix has Knowledge (arcana) +7 which I believe applies to all matters draconic. Please respond in an sblock so that I don't just end up parroting you to the group. Thanks. :)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
OOC: An sblock is how we generate those little pop-down hidden spoiler text windows, like the one in my last post. Just bookend your typed text like this:

(sblock=OOC) Typed text. (/sblock)

Simply replace the ( and ) with [ and ]

Tharune

First Post
Vorastrix snakes its head around to address the Lord. "Has arcane magic been used to determine any other properties of the blade yet my Lord? If not, I could do so now."

"It has, by my assistant," Ashchenon says. "The rune makes it easier to hit enemies,
and the sword possesses a rudimentary intelligence... in fact, this sword is tied into why I wanted to talk to you. You see, I knew its maker..."

[sblock=Vorastrix]Famous in this case means his name came up a lot. Apparently, the red wyrm was exceptionally good at being a red wyrm, and terrorized the Dales for a very long time. Many different heroes and groups tried to stop him, to no avail. But sometime back in the days when Cormanthor was at its peak, word of the dragon dropped off and disappeared. That's all you know...[/sblock]

Remove ads