D&D 3E/3.5 Martial artist updated for 3.5E

hong

WotC's bitch
The 3.5E update (working version) of my martial artist class is up on my web page.

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/martialartist_35e.htm
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ma_feats_35e.htm
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/combatfeats_35e.htm

Here's a quick rundown of the class. Any comments much appreciated.

Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points/Level: 4 + Int modifier (x4 at 1st level).
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: 3d4 x 10 gp

BAB: as fighter (lvl x1)
Good saves: Fort, Ref

Lvl         +AC         Special
1         1         Defensive talent
2         1         Uncanny dodge, bonus feat
3         1         Trap sense +1
4         1         Bonus feat
5         1         Improved uncanny dodge
6         2         Trap sense +2, bonus feat
7         2         Supreme acrobat (great leap, slow fall)
8         2         Bonus feat
9         2         Trap sense +3
10        2         Supreme acrobat (+5)
11        2         Bonus feat
12        3         Trap sense +4
13        3         Supreme acrobat (acrobatic mastery)
14        3         Bonus feat
15        3         Trap sense +5
16        3         Supreme acrobat (+10)
17        3         Bonus feat
18        4         Trap sense +6
19        4         Acrobatics (+20)
20        4         Bonus feat

Changed class features:

Uncanny Dodge: Martial artists have the ability to react to danger with extraordinary speed. Starting at 2nd level, the martial artist retains her Dexterity bonus to AC if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker (which means she also retains her level-based AC bonus in these situations). At 5th level she can no longer be flanked, except by a rogue or martial artist 4 levels higher than her.

Trap Sense: At 3rd level, the martial artist gains a +1 bonus to her Reflex saves and a +1 dodge bonus to her AC against traps. These bonuses increase by +1 every 3 levels thereafter, to +2 at 6th, +3 at 9th, and so on.

Supreme Acrobat: Martial artists are renowned for their agility. At 7th level, the martial artist's jumping distances are not limited by her speed (but her jumps still count towards her total movement for the round). When falling, she can make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1 per 10 feet of distance fallen) to reduce the damage taken by half.

At 10th level, the martial artist gains a +5 competence bonus to Jump and Tumble skill checks. These bonuses increase to +10 at 16th level, and to +20 at 19th level.

At 13th level, the martial artist can take 10 on any Jump and Tumble skill check, even if circumstances would normally prevent her from doing so.

Bonus feats: At the levels indicated on the table (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 20th), the martial artist gains a bonus feat. She can choose her bonus feats from the following:

• Any of the feats on the list of martial arts feats.
  • The following feats from the list of combat feats: Called Shot, Improved Aimed Shot, Improved All-Out Attack, Improved Dodge, Improved Rapid Strike, Negate Critical, or Rapid Strike.
  • One of the following feats from the PHB: Acrobatic, Agile, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Far Shot, Great Fortitude, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Point-Blank Shot, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Quick-Draw, Shot on the Run, Snatch Arrows, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist, Toughness, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus or Whirlwind Attack.
  • The Enhanced Unarmed Strike, Instinctive Shot, Instinctive Strike, Martial Finesse and Strike Without Thought feats below, which are available only to martial artists.

Enhanced Unarmed Strike

You do not need weapons, for your body itself is a lethal weapon.

Prerequisites: Martial artist level 1st+.

Benefit: You gain the benefits of the Improved Unarmed Strike feat from the PHB. Your unarmed strikes do 1d6 points of damage (for Medium-sized characters; smaller or larger characters adjust damage dice as per the rules in the DMG and MM). You can also choose to deal your damage as either normal or subdual without penalty. This feat can be used to meet the requirements for feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite.

Special: For every 6 points of base attack bonus, you can take this feat one additional time: thus you can take it twice if your base attack bonus is at least +6, three times if it is +12, etc. Each time you take this feat, your unarmed damage dice increase by one step, as per the rules in the DMG and MM.

Instinctive Shot

You are one with your bow, enabling you to make difficult shots as if they were routine.

Prerequisites: Martial artist level 6th+, Point-Blank Shot, Weapon Focus with chosen bow.

Benefit: Choose a type of bow (not a crossbow). When using a bow of that type, you can apply double your Wisdom bonus (if any) to negate attack penalties due to range. You do not gain an actual bonus to hit; if the doubled Wisdom modifier is greater than the range penalty, the excess is discarded. You can also reroll miss chances due to concealment; you can only reroll the miss chance once per attack roll.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack; each time you take this feat, it applies to a different type of bow.

Instinctive Strike

To the astute, brawn is unnecessary. You exemplify this.

Prerequisites: Martial artist level 6th+, Weapon Focus with chosen weapon, Wis 15+.

Benefit: When using a weapon with which you have Weapon Focus, you may add your Wisdom modifier to your damage rolls in place of your Strength modifier. Unlike your Strength modifier, this bonus to damage is not adjusted for two-handed or off-hand weapons. You do not gain this benefit if the weapon you use does not allow a Strength bonus to damage.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack; each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can choose mighty bows or “unarmed strike” as your weapon for the purposes of this feat. A mighty bow’s Strength limit doesn’t apply to your Wisdom bonus.

Martial Finesse

You wield weapons with extraordinary grace and fluency.

Prerequisites: Martial artist level 1st+, Weapon Focus with chosen weapon.

Benefit: Choose a melee weapon that you can use one-handed, with which you have Weapon Focus. When using the selected weapon, you can use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. You need your second hand for balance, so if you use a shield, apply the shield's armour check penalty to your attack rolls.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack; each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can take this feat with the bastard sword, glaive, quarterstaff, spear, spiked chain, or two-bladed sword, even though these are normally two-handed weapons.

Normal: A character without this feat uses her Strength modifier on melee attack rolls. She can take the Weapon Finesse feat to use her Dexterity modifier in place of her Strength modifier, but only when using a light weapon, rapier, whip or spiked chain.

Strike Without Thought

Uniting body and mind with a single purpose, you know where to strike.

Prerequisites: Martial artist level 12th+, Instinctive Strike, Iron Will,
Martial Finesse, Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Str 13+, Wis 15+.

Benefit: Pick a melee weapon with which you have Instinctive Strike and Martial Finesse. When using this weapon, your Strength modifier (adjusted for off-hand and two-handed weapons) to damage stacks with your Wisdom modifier.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can choose “unarmed strike” as your weapon for the purposes of this feat.

Voadam

Legend
So you removed the bonus feat from level 1 and added the acrobatics and trap sense? Anything else I'm missing?

Oh I see, and fewer feats at higher levels, why the switch to 1/3 instead of the 1/2?

Last edited:

Technik4

First Post
Not sure I like how the Jump/Tumble bonuses scale. Shouldn't it just go to +15 at 20th? Or how about:

10: +5
13: +10
16: +15
19: +20

Perhaps some sort of "Skill Mastery" could be a martial artist feat? Then you could choose skills besides jump and tumble. More options, more flexibility.

Everything else looked good except perhaps that barbarians and martial artists both gain uncanny dodge at level 2, but martial artists beat them to the punch gaining Improved UD at 5th (barbarians gain it at 6th I believe).

Seems cool, just like the original.

Technik

hong

WotC's bitch
Voadam said:
So you removed the bonus feat from level 1 and added the acrobatics and trap sense? Anything else I'm missing?

The class-specific feats got changed a bit, as well as some of the feats on the other pages.

Oh I see, and fewer feats at higher levels, why the switch to 1/3 instead of the 1/2?

For a few reasons:

- There were enough people saying that the class seemed overpowered, that reducing the number of bonus feats seemed appropriate.

- I wanted to give the MA more flavour, especially now that the ranger is very like this class. Giving acrobatic specials was what I came up with, compensated for by reducing the feats.

Technik4 said:
Everything else looked good except perhaps that barbarians and martial artists both gain uncanny dodge at level 2, but martial artists beat them to the punch gaining Improved UD at 5th (barbarians gain it at 6th I believe).

IIRC the 3.5E barb still gets UD at 2nd and 5th level, same as before. I was basing the MA off the barb, so I didn't change it either.

Bean 2.0

First Post
ok the class is cool but the instinctive strike and strike without thought feats are pretty pumped they might be a bit broken also you might want to make improved unarmed strike a requisite for enhanced and state whether or not epic attack bonus counts for the number of times you can take enhanced unarmed strike

Caspian

First Post
Great Leap?

I'm trying to make a martial artist using your rules, and I've come into a snag, What's the great leap feat? It may have been in your 3.0 file but doesn't seem to be in the revision.

Jonathan

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Great Leap?

Caspian said:
I'm trying to make a martial artist using your rules, and I've come into a snag, What's the great leap feat? It may have been in your 3.0 file but doesn't seem to be in the revision.

I rolled it up into the Superior Acrobat class ability. Great Leap isn't really that great as a feat; most mobility boosters become rather superfluous once everyone gets winged boots or similar flight items.

If you're referring to the table in the 1st post in this thread, it's an error resulting from not knowing how the Jump skill worked in 3.5.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Oh

Caspian said:
Ah, so how does this affect the spirit warrior class?

I'll be redoing most of the martial artist PrCs. The first priority is the master of intuitive archery, because I'm playing one at the moment. ;)

reapersaurus

First Post
just wanted to say - I quite like your House Rules classes and PrC's and feats, hong.

They look more fun to play than most existing WotC stuff.

Remove ads