• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power 2 - Comments, Reviews, Noteworthy Stuff?

Then why would you take Archer Warlord in the first place?

Replacing Str for Dex with bows doesn't affect Heavy Thrown Weapons.

Eh, you're right really. There's not much point in taking the Archer Warlord class feature in that case. Still, heavy thrown with warlord powers in general? Nice. Battlefront Leader? Yeah, its a nice combo. Tratnyr warlord :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Eh, you're right really. There's not much point in taking the Archer Warlord class feature in that case. Still, heavy thrown with warlord powers in general? Nice. Battlefront Leader? Yeah, its a nice combo. Tratnyr warlord :)

A hungry Greatspear is better. Reach and thrown gives tons of options in combat.

Hungry is from one of the Item sets in AVII. The property gives a spear range 10/20.

DracoSuave

First Post
To have powers that have: Ranged Weapon.

Basic ranged attacks using strength don't cut it.

Powers that have Ranged weapon are also not affected by Archer Warlord, if those powers are not 'Ranged Basic Attack' and the weapon is not a bow.

Warlord powers do not have Archer Warlord as a prerequisite in any way, shape, or form. And other classes' powers are not affected by this class feature.

Last edited:

Powers that have Ranged weapon are also not affected by Archer Warlord, if those powers are not 'Ranged Basic Attack' and the weapon is not a bow.

Warlord powers do not have Archer Warlord as a prerequisite in any way, shape, or form. And other classes' powers are not affected by this class feature.
You are correct. It seems I either didn't read well enough or didn't think it through. :)

A hungry Greatspear is better. Reach and thrown gives tons of options in combat.

Hungry is from one of the Item sets in AVII. The property gives a spear range 10/20.

But if you are going to use a 2-handed weapon you are better off using a bow. A greatspear then becomes a good backup weapon since you won't want a shield in that case. However if you want to be able to operate at both range and melee its probably just as well to take javelin or tratnyr and Battlefront Leader and go with the heavy shield. No doubt there are plenty of good ways to build a new style warlord though. It'll take some experimentation to come up with the most ideal builds and I'm sure there will be a lot of good ones.

ToddBS

Explorer
Not true, check out the Ninth Legion Commander style. You need a shield for that, plus a one-handed pick or spear, granted notthe usual weapons for board guys.

Finally got my book in the mail yesterday. I'm actually quite pleased with the treatment given shield users in combat styles now that I have the complete picture.

Not only is there the Ninth Legion style, but also the Kulkor Battlearm style. While not requiring a shield per se, the associated Fighter skill is Tide of Iron. Nerathan High Blade style also has some nice synergy with tanky types, though nothing relating specifically to the shield.

There are several nice new exploits relating to shield use as well. Overall, my sword-n-board sensibilities have been assuaged.

Remove ads