• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power fighter combo

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
But I don't think you can apply the feat twice for one attack. That would be like getting twice the damage from "Astral Fire" if you use a power that has both the Radiant and Fire keywords.
I agree. The feat's probably too good even with just +Str, and +(2xStr) is ridiculous. The same goes for the Iron Vanguard's ability.

Don't forget to multiclass as barbarian so you're adding another +con mod with a daily stance (or possibly rage, don't remember for sure).
Why not just be a barbarian, and take the at-will power that lets you push a target even when you're using a two-handed weapon. Then use a reach weapon and take polearm gamble. While you're at it, take the daily rage that lets you automatically knock prone one target per round, and/or the rage that lets you knock prone every target you hit.

Then at 21st level, take Knock-Back Swing, which when you get an OA automatically pushes the target of the OA one square, even if the OA misses! With your combo of feats, that'll push all OA targets two squares and knock them prone.

jedrious

First Post
Code:
Function Draconic_Arrogance (ConditionsInflicted as Object, DamageProduced as Integer)
If (ConditionsInflicted.Push.boolean = True AND ConditionsInflicted.Push.Distance >1) OR ConditionsInflicted.Prone.boolean = True Then
DamageProduced = DamageProduced + Characer.Strmod
End If
Return DamageProduced
End Function

Bond James Bond

First Post
They did try. Nobody's perfect, though, there will always be a few slip-ups. :p

Well a slip up is one thing, but when they start with slip ups like that right in the first class book, I am scared what will happen later with more options to play with.

This isn`t even some weired multiclass combo or anything like that, where you can say, well, that they just missed it. Its a fighter at will plus two feats specificially desigend for improving fighting with a spear. It doesn`t take a genius to figure the combo out.

And damaging+pushing+dropping prone with an at will ist just way way ovepowered (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Vomax

First Post
It's a good chunk of damage for an at will and knocked prone is nice, but for the middle of the paragon tier I don't feel like it's too terribly overpowered.

DracoSuave

First Post
The funny thing about such a ruling is that there's no indication of which end is which. Doublesword has no indication as to which end is the light blade and which is the heavy blade, or does it act as both.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Double weapons in general are the problem. The fact that they're described on a seperate page to the other two weapon qualities in the book would suggest that they were a late addition or a change, rather than something that was extensively tested.

TK

First Post
It's a good chunk of damage for an at will and knocked prone is nice, but for the middle of the paragon tier I don't feel like it's too terribly overpowered.

I have to disagree here. Looking at the other at wills, all of them do a basic attack with an extra (pretty minor) effect, or a little extra damage (such as the rogue power that adds two stats to damage). This adds the same stat to damage multiple times, as well as having multiple effects. In my mind, this is very over powered for an at-will. (If it was an encounter power then it probably wouldn't be much of an issue.)

chitzk0i

Explorer
But I don't think you can apply the feat twice for one attack. That would be like getting twice the damage from "Astral Fire" if you use a power that has both the Radiant and Fire keywords.

I don't know the wording of the feat, but it's probably similar to the Iron Vanguard 16th level ability. If it says "If a power you execute pushes a target or knocks a target prone" then I could see your point. That's pretty clearly a single check box for both conditions.

On the other hand, the Iron Vanguard ability states "When you push a creature or knock a creature prone it takes damage equal to your Constitution modifier." That indicates to me that it's a kind of running check and will trigger multiple times per power.

However, even with the once per power ruling this is still an attractive ability. If your DM thinks that more than once per power is too strong, I wouldn't protest too loudly. You probably want to look at Vorpal Tornado (Fighter 17) when you rule. Close burst 1 with 2xSTR and 2xCON added on to each target could be a bit much.

Remove ads