• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power fighter combo

Bond James Bond

First Post
I have to disagree here. Looking at the other at wills, all of them do a basic attack with an extra (pretty minor) effect, or a little extra damage (such as the rogue power that adds two stats to damage). This adds the same stat to damage multiple times, as well as having multiple effects. In my mind, this is very over powered for an at-will. (If it was an encounter power then it probably wouldn't be much of an issue.)

I couldnt agree more. A "sword and board" (or precisly, "spear and board") fighter already had one of the better at wills of the game with tide an iron. Now they allow him to improve it by spending a couple of feats to make it push2, knock prone, deal several times stat modificator bonus damage.

This is really bad design.

First post here so ciao a tutti
i think the spear push feat implies that you push with the spear, while with tide of iron you push with the shield, so there's room for a dm to disallow the 2 things to work together

Stormtower

First Post
i think the spear push feat implies that you push with the spear, while with tide of iron you push with the shield, so there's room for a dm to disallow the 2 things to work together

Welcome to ENWorld. Ciao!

I agree in principle with your interpretation, but the "pushing with the shield" aspect of Tide of Iron is just flavor text. Players (especially in the RPGA) feel entitled to use these kinds of synergies because the Rule As Written trumps the flavor text. It does seem powerful, but this kind of power creep was inevitable and we should expect it to continue with each new splat release. :erm:

Orcus Porkus

First Post
With these feats:
Surprising Charge
Prerequisites: Dex 17, fighter or rogue
Benefit: When you make a charge attack against
a target that is granting combat advantage to you, the
attack deals 1[W] extra damage if you hit with a light
blade or a spear.

Mobile Warrior
Prerequisites: 21st level, Dex 17, fighter
Benefit: When you make an attack with a flail, a
heavy blade, a light blade, or a spear, you can shift 1
square after resolving the attack, whether or not it hits.
you make the combo in the OP even more powerful and flexible. Throw in Horned Helm and Vanguard Weapon, and his melee basic attacks deal terrible damage on a charge attack with combat advantage. If you optimize charge further with boots of adept charging, powerful charge feat, and whatever is out there, this guy outperforms the barbarian, and will just move in and out to charge relentlessly, because the damage is so insane.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Mobile Warrior
Prerequisites: 21st level, Dex 17, fighter
Benefit: When you make an attack with a flail, a
heavy blade, a light blade, or a spear, you can shift 1
square after resolving the attack, whether or not it hits.

Is it me, or does someone seem intent on making odd classes incredibly maneuverable? First that whacky "shift 2, even through people" barbarian power, and now a fighter only "shift every round after you attack" power?

kouk

First Post
And just for kicks, you can take the Gladiator Arena feat Spear and Shield Style from Dragon 368, which gives your Tide of Iron attacks with a spear +1 reach.

Still RPGA legal.

jedrious

First Post
Is it me, or does someone seem intent on making odd classes incredibly maneuverable? First that whacky "shift 2, even through people" barbarian power, and now a fighter only "shift every round after you attack" power?

or perhaps they're rounding out the mechanics for it being a very mobile game, since one of the design goals was to prevent the 'stand still and hit the monster till it dies' credo from previous editions

IanArgent

First Post
or perhaps they're rounding out the mechanics for it being a very mobile game, since one of the design goals was to prevent the 'stand still and hit the monster till it dies' credo from previous editions

There needs to be a reason for the fighter to move - too many combats have the fighter and the BBEG just standing toe-to-toe hammering on each other like grim death, with no movement.

Doctor Proctor

First Post

Well, think of it this way. You attack the enemy and use your shield to push him back five feet. Then you step forward and jam the enemy with your spear to push him another 5 feet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads