• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power - What do you hope to see?

Rechan

Adventurer
Or, do you mean like powers that can only be used while mounted/benefit from being mounted?
This is more what I mean. Right now, mounted combat is just "X gets to make your move for you, sacrifice a standard action to let X attack, and you get fiddly plus Y for being on X". I'd prefer something a little more thematically sexy. A cavalier/mongol-style build, with mount-specific powers, would be refreshing. Trampling, a two-attack power that lets you use a basic attack and your mount to use an at-will ability, that's what I'm talking about, a Marking mechanic that lets your mount attack the foe if they shift, etc.

I however see the futility of the gesture, given how often paladins got to take their mounts into the dungeon, unless they were halflings or gnomes riding pooches. And now you have to keep your mount alive just to benefit from your powers.

Granted, I'd never get the opportunity to play it, but just seeing it in print would make me satisfied on that "This needs to exist" level.

Edit: You know, as I think about it more, a mounted class might make a very nice striker too. Movement powers, especially 'mount moves speed, no OA, attack anyone in line'.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
If we don't see a separate brawler path, I'll probably just take the tempest, add some adventurer vault items, and play with the (slightly underwhelming) spike gauntlets.
That's what I'd do.

Although honestly, I'd just take the longsword stats, and say "This is your fist." I did that for the Warlord in my party, who's not rules savvy, but wanted to play a "Captain America" style shield-and-fist guy.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
That's what I'd do.

Although honestly, I'd just take the longsword stats, and say "This is your fist." I did that for the Warlord in my party, who's not rules savvy, but wanted to play a "Captain America" style shield-and-fist guy.

You just made me realize that with the right power selection and a spiked shield on a chain (chain=fluff), the swordmage can easily be reskinned as Rygar

Lightning Lure: pull enemy toward you with disc-armor. Aegis of Shielding...throw shield in front of ally to absorb damage, close burst spells: sweep with the disc-armor....Teleport: swing off ledge with chain.

aww yeah....

I'm hoping for weapon-specific encounter powers (and dailies too if possible) for all levels, and not just 3-13-23 (Obviously, I'm talking about the fighter).

Paragon Paths covering the other weapons, and not just swords...

The idea of a backline Warlord does sound pretty neat. I remeber there were 2 new builds listed on the compendium when it launched, one of which dealing with shields IIRC.
We might not get a backline build, since the Warlords primary ability scores are supposed to be Strength, Intelligence and Charisma.
I find it likely (even if unfortunate) that the designers don't want to invalidate this core advice.

Of course, if they loosen this restriction, we might also see smart Rogues again.

That One Guy

First Post
We might not get a backline build, since the Warlords primary ability scores are supposed to be Strength, Intelligence and Charisma.
I find it likely (even if unfortunate) that the designers don't want to invalidate this core advice.

Of course, if they loosen this restriction, we might also see smart Rogues again.
What about Heavy Thrown backrow Warlords?

Also, since more multiclass feats are confirmed... what do people hope for? Build-oriented MC feats? Maybe something that would make someone a TWF Ranger for the purpose of PPs?

Mercule

Adventurer
Swashbuckler.

Ranged rogue.

Back line warlord.

Powers that make fighter weapon choices matter.

Thief-acrobat -- which was semi-confirmed.

A non-TWF melee ranger.

Rechan

Adventurer
What about Heavy Thrown backrow Warlords?

Also, since more multiclass feats are confirmed... what do people hope for? Build-oriented MC feats? Maybe something that would make someone a TWF Ranger for the purpose of PPs?
Take for instance the Swordmage. Instead of getting the Swordmage's mark, they get an AC booster thing. The mark would have been a better opportunity; all the other defender classes grant you a marking power.

Also, multi-ing into Wizard or Warlock grants you an at-will power as an encounter power. Multi-ing into a leader grants you a heal. But multi-ing into a striker or defender nets you a marking power or extra damage. What about granting one of the defender/striker at-wills as an encounter power?

In all honesty, I would like to see getting access to class perks. The fighter's Combat Superiority. The Warlord's initiative booster.

That One Guy

First Post
Rechan,
Would you be okay w/ a paragon path that was mount-oriented? I think w/ the mount-focused items in the AV a mount focused something is probably coming at some point.
Swashbuckler.
More than the artful dodger rogue? I'd like to see it too (there is the Corsair in the FRPG, but it doesn't quite fit what I want). I imagine a paragon path that is available to martial classes. What would you want to see it as? Class? Build? PP?
A non-melee warlord would be neat to see.

Brawler fighter.

Great weapon ranger.

Shield ranger.

Beastmaster ranger.

Thug rogue.
The more I think about it, the more I want fighter powers for staves and unarmed. Great Weapon ranger is a pretty good idea. I think hong'd be able to make his trench/katana guy. Shield ranger'll probably only ever see the spiked shield, IMO. Beastmaster falls under the confirmed - but afraid they'll pull, eh? Beastmastery was never my thing in 3.x w/ rangers... but a lot of people do dig pets. Actually, I think those rules would make a druid much more... houserulesable.

Thug rogue? Like... more brutal and scoundrelly than the brutal scoundrel? Or more powers for dirty fighting? I mean, there's already sand in the eyes... and anything that's vs. will is pretty much a bluffing attack (narratively, IMO). Or like... more heavy handed? I'm not sure what you mean, but very interested.
Take for instance the Swordmage. Instead of getting the Swordmage's mark, they get an AC booster thing. The mark would have been a better opportunity; all the other defender classes grant you a marking power.

Also, multi-ing into Wizard or Warlock grants you an at-will power as an encounter power. Multi-ing into a leader grants you a heal. But multi-ing into a striker or defender nets you a marking power or extra damage. What about granting one of the defender/striker at-wills as an encounter power?

In all honesty, I would like to see getting access to class perks. The fighter's Combat Superiority. The Warlord's initiative booster.
I agree about the swordmage. It breaks the defender's MC trend that had been established in the PHB. I think the @will as encounter thing may step on the half-elf's toes.

But, greater access to class perks would be great. Basically sacrificing depth in one's own class to gain a little more scope of potential. That's actually how I expected MCing to work before I saw the PHB (and for a few days after that I expected some errata saying, "Sorry... we forgot these feats."). Basically a more deep and complex version of the feat-based system in place.

What about a two-fold pact type of feat for people in their own class? I think it'd be good for warlords... but I'm not sure about the other martials. Maybe beastmaster/combat-style ranger?

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I imagine for "Thug Rogue" he means more; eye-gouging, knee cap shattering, curb-stomp, bite ear and tear off... unarmed style of being a Rogue. The guy you meet in a alleyway or in a seedy bar.

Well that is what I would like to see from a Thug Rogue.

Remove ads