Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was going to say what besides D20 systems are hot right now, instead of just 5E, but a lot of them probably would clash with 5E, PF and SF.
I mean, realistically, nothing other than some sort of d20 derivative is hot in any mass market sense. 5E is 100% of the RPGs for sale at my local Target, and based on Amazon sales all other RPGs are dwarfed by Pathfinder, let alone D&D.

I mean, realistically, nothing other than some sort of d20 derivative is hot in any mass market sense. 5E is 100% of the RPGs for sale at my local Target, and based on Amazon sales all other RPGs are dwarfed by Pathfinder, let alone D&D.

Yeah, I went looking around for the usual sales figures articles and the only outlier I can find was an article from Feb about how much huger CoC is than D&D in Japan. I wonder if they would find any inspiration in the more open BRP ruleset?

Given that they have said they will use D&D stats, and have alluded to D&D 5e and derivatives in the description ("most popular RPGs") it seems pretty likely this will be a d20-ish/D&D-ish game.

I have seen no quote at all about that. Do you have a link? People here connecting M.A.R.V.E.L. to the D&D stats is not the same as Marvel actually saying they are using the SRD or OGL.

pemerton

Legend
I have seen no quote at all about that. Do you have a link? People here connecting M.A.R.V.E.L. to the D&D stats is not the same as Marvel actually saying they are using the SRD or OGL.
I'm not saying that have said they will use the SRD or OGL. You don't need to do that to publish a D&D-ish RPG.

The press release says "a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day". If they are in fact intending to produce a Fate-like or PbtA-ish game, they have done a very good job of concealing it!

Whereas taking at face value, the game will be a "natural evolution" for 5e D&D players who will use the standard 6 stats in action resolution.

I'm not saying that have said they will use the SRD or OGL. You don't need to do that to publish a D&D-ish RPG.

The press release says "a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day". If they are in fact intending to produce a Fate-like or PbtA-ish game, they have done a very good job of concealing it!

Whereas taking at face value, the game will be a "natural evolution" for 5e D&D players who will use the standard 6 stats in action resolution.

Which is why in my comment I asked about games, plural, if it that is not a typo, which other games besides D&D are influencing this one. And the two you mention are by no means among "the most popular role-playing games on the market."

pemerton

Legend
Which is why in my comment I asked about games, plural, if it that is not a typo, which other games besides D&D are influencing this one. And the two you mention are by no means among "the most popular role-playing games on the market."
The game is likely to be influenced by a wide range of current designs, just as recent versions of D&D have been.

But I think the game will pretty clearly be D&D-adjacent.

Quote from the article: "Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!"

Sounds pretty D&Dish based on that; renamed 6 stats and "discover your true abilities" sure sounds like level progression.
Or, someone really wanted the stats to spell MARVEL.

Though oh my god that is the worst Thor I've ever seen. If it wasn't for the hammer I wouldn't even have recognised him. Is it some weird-ass variant Thor, like Black Knight holding Thor's hammer or something?
The Thor on the front cover is from Thor #1 Jan 2020 (fallout of the War of the Realms storyline). So I'm thinking like most that the multiverse would bring us different versions of all the heroes and villains. I loved MHR but didn't care for the character advancement portion of the game. I don't think they are going to do a 5e version as that just doesn't work (hated Mutants and Masterminds even with the changes they made to move away from the traditional D&D system). I'm sure they may take elements of 5e but the Alien comics/movies (now a Disney/Marvel property) is doing well with the Free League system as an RPG. I'm sure they are aware of that and may use elements of that system as well. I don't want the fighting in this game to be too narrative, like to have a little more crunch than Free League games. I'm very curious and hope for no "Levels" or "Hit Points". Time will tell.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases