Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Putting aside mechanics......what kind of adventures happen in super hero games? How do you keep them from being all powerful all the time? I've never played a super hero game.....and am curious what kinds of stories people ran.
Well usually the goal is to play through something like what you would see in a comic book run, a superhero movie, or -and probably the best example - something you would see in an episode of "Justice League".

It's not about loot. It's not about powering up with items you find. It's about doing the right thing, saving the world, and bragging rights ...
"Did you see that? I just punched Doctor Zero through a skyscraper!"

You can also season to taste by focusing in on personal relationships, questions of right vs. wrong and vigilante-ism vs legal niceties. Are you hunted and feared for your strange abilities or widely admired for your awesome powers?

Stopping supervillians, thwarting the plans of evil agencies, heading off alien invasions, helping people through natural disasters, and generally saving the world - or the universe - is a regular part of these kinds of games.

aramis erak

Legend
The main reason to think dice like a d20 would be ysed is that they sell those duce sets in Walmart and Target, so they are very, very widely available.
I got doublmark d7 (physical d14) via walmart.com... d14, d16, d18, and d24 are available via walmart.com, either direct mail or ship to store. Not as convenient as having them in stock to go pick up (and not all walmarts have toy & game sections), but if a kid has a gift card, it's easy enough to order to store and bypass mom & dad...

aramis erak

Legend
I presume dice sets include all dice equally? I mean, they sure used to. Looking at Walmart and Target in the US the dice sets they sell are either all d6 or equal-ish numbers of all dice. So d20s are exactly as available as d12s, d10s, d8s and d4s aren't they?
Variation in standard poly sets goes back to the mid 1980s...
All of the following were "standard" by 1990:
  • d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20
  • d4, 3d6, d8, d10, d12, d20
  • d4, 4d6, d8, d10, d12, d20
  • d4, 3d6, d8, 2d10, d12, d20 (Noting that the second d10 was a different color)
Modern sets tend to be:
  • d4, d6, d8, d10, d10×10, d12, d20
  • d4, 3d6, d8, d10, d10×10, d12, d20
  • d4, 4d6, d8, d10, d10×10, d12, d20
But I've seen ones without the d10×10 recently (last 13 months) as well. 4d6 tend to be more common than 3d6, since those who roll tend to use 4d6k3 for stat gen.

I like minidice, too. And I've not seen a minidice poly set in a decade that didn't have 3d6 or 4d6 and a d10×10. (That may be selection by my available local game stores. Most of which are friendly.)

So, categorically, no, they don't.
Especially now that there are sets with d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d18, d22, d24 d28 d30... those sets I've seen include multiple d6 and a d10×10; one included a d10×100 (for rolling d1000).

edit to add: a few sets were sold that were 2d10 and 4d6, as well, specifically for twilight 2000 2.0 and a few other games using only 10's and 6's (Cyberpunk 2013, 2020). They were not common. It also was a good set for WFRP.

So, categorically, no, they don't.
Yeah I guess my question was phrased badly, because what you detected I was actually asking was "Have dice sets changed in what they contain since I was buying dice regularly in the 1990s" and the answer is basically "no" - there's a subtle change you illustrate but not much. But still there's no particular reason to use d20s in a game - and I'll be honest and say I hope they do not. The longer I play RPGs, the better I understand mechanics, the less I like d20s, much as I loved the hell out of them when I was new.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Mat says:

Matt Forbeck
JUNE 8, 2021 AT 3:54 PM
I didn’t write the press release, so I can’t say for sure if that plural was intentional or not. I might point out, however, that even the most popular RPG of all time is actually an evolutionary set of RPGs that led to the release of the latest edition.

That said, there are numerous influences on the game. I’ve worked on countless systems myself—and played even more—and those experiences all come into play (so to speak).

Undrave

Legend
I'm gonna guess they'll use some kind of special dice, that seems to be all the rage nowadays to squeeze more money out of the fanbase. You're gonna need to buy the book and the dice set and there will be a special set with both.

I'm gonna guess they'll use some kind of special dice, that seems to be all the rage nowadays to squeeze more money out of the fanbase. You're gonna need to buy the book and the dice set and there will be a special set with both.
Ugh if they do that's a dealbreaker for me. I've had enough of special dice.

But I doubt it given d616, because d66 and d666 are just normal d6es rolled in a specific way.

Remove ads

Remove ads