Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Last edited by a moderator:

They've got one of the more successful superhero games already. Why compete with themselves?
I seems GR consider M&M a gameline that's either complete, or one that's been abandoned. There hasn't been a new book for the game for well over a year, and GR have pivoted to churning out licenced properties like The Expanse and AGE sourcebooks mostly.

I've wondered for a while if we'd see an M&M 4th ed influenced either by AGE or 5e, but if GR are planning something like that they're keeping it reeeeal close to their chest.

JEB

Legend
To be honest, at this point I'd rather someone other than Green Ronin produce an M&M successor, or really any RPG product I might actually want to use; the whole C.A. Suleiman situation put me off supporting the company for years now. (Since I really really liked Green Ronin before that, I keep hoping they'll do something to atone - but nothing so far...)

pemerton

Legend
The preview of this system looks very unappealing to me. A MHRP "datafile" really portrays the character as I know them from the comics: their distinctions, their powersets, their special tricks. The least engaging part of a MHRP datafile is the list of "specialties" (basically, skills) - and the whole of the example Spider-Man sheet struck me as being like that.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This game seems quite crunchy for a modern supers game, which as a genre has been trending narrative (veteran M&M notwithstanding). I'm glad to see it, actually. I love Marvel, but MHR had too much of FATE's skeleton for my taste. FASERIP and M&M were my supers games of choice.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What's the over/under on how many books come out for this before Marvel yanks the license out from under them? Recent history has shown that this will be likely.
Asking this not to debate, but to clear up something I don't have a lot of information on:

When Margret Weis Productions no longer had the license to produce their Marvel Heroic Roleplay, was the license yanked/made prohibitive by Marvel or was let lapse on MWP's part? I had the impression that MWP didn't renew the license, perhaps it wasn't profitable enough. But I don't think I actively read that, just picked up a tone.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Asking this not to debate, but to clear up something I don't have a lot of information on:

When Margret Weis Productions no longer had the license to produce their Marvel Heroic Roleplay, was the license yanked/made prohibitive by Marvel or was let lapse on MWP's part? I had the impression that MWP didn't renew the license, perhaps it wasn't profitable enough. But I don't think I actively read that, just picked up a tone.
My understanding was that the license was not renewed by Marvel because it wasn't profitable enough by their standards. I believe MWP had at least one project close to completion that they weren't able to release because the license was pulled.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
My understanding was that the license was not renewed by Marvel because it wasn't profitable enough by their standards. I believe MWP had at least one project close to completion that they weren't able to release because the license was pulled.
MWP had more than one project in various stages of planning and was actively bringing in more freelancers to expand the line when the hammer dropped.

Licenses are lost regardless of profits. Look at Cubicle 7 and them losing the license for The One Ring and Adventures in Middle-Earth when they were in the middle of making the 2nd edition of ToR and the big Moria boxed set. And those games, when combined, were quite profitable.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases