• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masks of Nyarlathotep - Chapter 1: New York City

Father Joe looks up as Evelyn comes in. He wipes the sleep from his tired eyes and stands up, offering his hand to the lady reporter. "Ma'am, my name is Joe Savino. I'm a priest at a local church but I also have a psychology background. I'm not sure now is the best time for Professor Carter to relive everything that happened yesterday. Whatever questions you might have, might be better asked of the rest of us, outside the presence of the professor. He needs rest, especially so soon after the traumatic events of last night."

Shapermc

First Post
What should we do next...

"'Ello Ma'am. The Names Shorty. I am here to make sure that nothing like this happens. Well we wern't expecting anything like that to be there, so somthing did happen." Shorty says to the reporter nodding his head as a sign of greeting.

"If everyone is feeling up to it, I really think that we have no time to waste. We need to keep up the trail while it is hot, but here is not the place to discuss, see."

KitanaVorr

First Post
Evelyn smiles, gripping Carter's hand firmly before releasing it. "Well, you're looking for me because I am the one who can help you. I'm a reporter...and this trail you're on...I want to be on it, too."

She glances at the priest and Shorty. "And I'm perfectly willing to ask my questions anywhere you feel is appropriate as long as everyone answers them."

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Carter's hand falls limply to his side, but he doesn't notice.

...I'm a reporter...and this trail you're on...I want to be on it, too

Professor Carter stares at Evelyn, stunned. It takes him a moment to fully grasp what Evelyn is saying, but when he does he takes a deep breath and looks directly in her eyes. "Ms. Winslow, I'm not sure if you realize what you're saying. We've... I've.... discovered horrible things..." His gaze falters as Carter turns his head and shuts his eyes tight as his protest trails off, as if he just saw something horrible or is trying to keep something away. He then suddenly he turns back to Evelyn, his eyes wide "They're not dead! Sure, you think they are, but trust me they're NOT!! They come at you in your dreams! I can't go to sleep..." Carter begins to sob an he tries to turn away from the people in the room.

Krug

Newshound
VorpalBunny said:
Carter's hand falls limply to his side, but he doesn't notice.

...I'm a reporter...and this trail you're on...I want to be on it, too

Professor Carter stares at Evelyn, stunned. It takes him a moment to fully grasp what Evelyn is saying, but when he does he takes a deep breath and looks directly in her eyes. "Ms. Winslow, I'm not sure if you realize what you're saying. We've... I've.... discovered horrible things..." His gaze falters as Carter turns his head and shuts his eyes tight as his protest trails off, as if he just saw something horrible or is trying to keep something away. He then suddenly he turns back to Evelyn, his eyes wide "They're not dead! Sure, you think they are, but trust me they're NOT!! They come at you in your dreams! I can't go to sleep..." Carter begins to sob an he tries to turn away from the people in the room.

"There there Professor," says Thomas.
"No horror can stand before the will of God. Some prayer, perhaps...." he suggests.

KitanaVorr

First Post
"Oh you poor darling, you must have had a horrible time of it." Her thoughts on her own frightening run in with machete man gave her a little shiver of her own. Nevermind the horrific bodies down there. Dead but not dead? Well she'd have to find out more about this alright.

Putting her arm around the professor, she cooed over him like a mother hen with her chicks. "Now, now. Maybe if you talk about it with your friends and if your friends want to talk about it...well if everything is out in the open we can all heal. Isn't that what the psychoanalysts tell us all the time? Talk about your pain? Why don't you all start from the beginning and fill me in."

Joe sighs audibly. "Just another reporter looking for a story," he thinks. Out loud, he says, "Look Miss...Evelyn was it? Evelyn, we've all been through a great deal in the last few days, the Professor more than the rest of us. He needs to rest. I'm sure you could get answers to your questions from myself and the rest of my associates, but I really think the Professor needs a bit more time to...heal. And I don't know what your psychoanalyst tells you but having a psychology background myself, there are many ways to deal with this sort of problem. Trust me, Professor Carter doesn't need to be talking about his experiences with a reporter...not yet anyway. I'd be happy to answer your questions, as I'm sure my friends here would be. But lets give the Professor time to rest before the mental strain becomes too much for him to bear."

Joe puts a hand on Carter's shoulder and smiles reassuringly, knowing full well that the Professor was going to need a great deal of help both professionally and from his friends to get through this dark time in his life.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Hamish looks concerned when Carter starts crying again, but decides too many cooks may spoil the... the... he'd forgotten, but he was sure Carter was going to be okay with the attention he was receiving.

"Where should we go to talk about this?" he asks.

KitanaVorr

First Post
"That sounds reasonable, Father Joe," the reporter answered, straightening and smiling at everyone. "Well then, if some of you don't mind just stepping outside the room? I'd love to get the whole story. I'm sure someone can stay behind and keep the professor company."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads