• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mass combat

Would you buy a 3rd edition mass combat system

• Without question

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • I would need to see it first

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • no interest

Votes: 11 17.5%

bolen

First Post
This is kind of surprising to me. I guess the lack of extreme positive response is indicative of why Wizards is not so gung ho about a 3rd ed battlesystem.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Nah, it's indicative of nothing. If the poll were reworded to something like "how interested are you in a WotC produced mass combat system" with some choices like very, somewhat, not, that's a lot different than asking if we would buy a book like that sight unseen.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
The old Star Wars from West End Games contained some good guidelines for cinematic PC involvement in mass battles. The basic gist is that PCs do typical heroic PC stuff, like take on a lone walker or hold an important position, and how they fare affects the overall battle, including the next scene in which they are involved.

Chimera

First Post
I basically do the same as WSmith, throwing in some NPC rolls for good effect. Large battles can be done in not too much more time than regular combat (which can be slow anyways).

The largest I've run was an army of 500 Orcs against a town of 500, with @80 Guards/Soldiers/Rangers/local NPCs, 16 NPCs (two other parties) and 6 PCs. Took a good 2-3 hours, but the players had a huge impact on the battle. Fun when the group Cleric went down fighting the Orc General one-on-one, and several others had to spring to her rescue. One Heal spell while she's being protected, then she jumps back into combat and kills the bugger. Meanwhile the Ranger led a charge that wiped out a breakthrough on the other side of town. What more could you ask?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Quinessential Fighter Handbook

I thought the Q Fighter book had a great d20 mass combat system in it already. Why turn to Wizards for their version when the Q Fighter does a good job of it already?

Tsyr

Explorer
Because, like I said, wizards gives it an air of officiality. I know multiple DMs who won't use non-WotC stuff.

bardolph

First Post
I think that the Open Mass Combat System (OMCS) in The Quintessential Fighter is pretty nice, but it certainly needs fleshing out before it can really be considered a mature system. It also has some really strange rulings ("HOW many people did my magic missile kill?!?"), and is completely missing any rules governing movement troop movement.

However, it should serve well for "quick and dirty" mass combat resolution in the context of a PC-driven campaign.

Remove ads