D&D 5E "Mass Effect 3 esque" Ability System

Stalker0

Legend
I feel like this would make turns much longer as people did their recharge phase to roll to see what actions they’re allowed to take before taking their actions.
This is a good point, so maybe it would be better to just have them roll the die immediately at the end of their turn. That way they will already know if they have their juice next round, and then if they recharge they don't even have to track their die, so its even simplier.

Stalker0

Legend
Would rather have set recharge time for various abilities than to fiddle every round with 5 different dice.

So, you can have:
at-will or 1 round recharge.
2 round recharge
1 min recharge
1hr recharge
8hr recharge
A perfectly valid opinion, though I do think rolling a single die every round is much easier to track than maintaining tracking on every ability you use. But its the eternal balance between features and complexity.

dave2008

Legend
This is an interesting idea, but I am a little confused by when you roll a particular die. When do I roll a d4 vs a d6 vs a d8?

Stalker0

Legend
This is an interesting idea, but I am a little confused by when you roll a particular die. When do I roll a d4 vs a d6 vs a d8?
It depends on the ability used. So in the example I posted, if I used the Disarming Attack manuever, I would roll a d8. Hmm, since several people have gotten confused already, It looks like I need to rewrite the OP a bit to clarify. I also think I'm going to do it at the end of someone's turn to reduce tracking even further.

dave2008

Legend
It depends on the ability used. So in the example I posted, if I used the Disarming Attack manuever, I would roll a d8. Hmm, since several people have gotten confused already, It looks like I need to rewrite the OP a bit to clarify. I also think I'm going to do it at the end of someone's turn to reduce tracking even further.
So if I use Commander's Strike, I roll a d4 at the end of my turn. If I roll a 3, no maneuvers for my next turn. Then at the end of my next turn I roll a d4 again, and I keep rolling that d4 until I get a 4, correct?

If that is correct, that is what I guessed, but I didn't feel it was spelled out in the OP very clearly. Also, if that is correct, I like it. What I like is that it allows you to have attacks/actions/maneuvers of different power.

I could also so provide ways to increase your recharge roll (like would bless add 1d4 to the roll) or a feature gives you advantage on the recharge roll a number of times equal to your CON mod., etc.

dave2008

Legend
Would rather have set recharge time for various abilities than to fiddle every round with 5 different dice.

So, you can have:
at-will or 1 round recharge.
2 round recharge
1 min recharge
1hr recharge
8hr recharge
If I understand it correctly it is on die. You use Commander's Strike and then you must recharge all your maneuvers. Because you used CS, you need to roll a d4 to recharge and your maneuvers only recharge (all of them) when you roll a 4. You only switch recharge dice when you choose a different maneuver. So you once you roll a 4 and can use maneuvers again and this time you choose Disarm. Now you roll a d8 until your recharge again (also by rolling a 4). You are only ever dealing with on die at a time.

Stalker0

Legend
So if I use Commander's Strike, I roll a d4 at the end of my turn. If I roll a 3, no maneuvers for my next turn. Then at the end of my next turn I roll a d4 again, and I keep rolling that d4 until I get a 4, correct?

If that is correct, that is what I guessed, but I didn't feel it was spelled out in the OP very clearly. Also, if that is correct, I like it. What I like is that it allows you to have attacks/actions/maneuvers of different power.
You got it. I have updated the OP so hopefully its a lot clearer.

MarkB

Legend
I like the concept, but as has been mentioned, it is prone to someone having a string of bad dice rolls and not getting to use any cool abilities after their first round. I might have the required roll result tick down each round - so the first round you try to recover you need to roll a 4, but if you fail, the next round you only need to roll a 3, then a 2, and then on the following round you automatically re-prime your abilities.

EDIT: That would allow you to introduce really powerful abilities with an automatically delayed recovery rate, by giving them only a d3 recovery die. So you definitely won't recover the next round, but you might do so the following round.

Stalker0

Legend
I like the concept, but as has been mentioned, it is prone to someone having a string of bad dice rolls and not getting to use any cool abilities after their first round. I might have the required roll result tick down each round - so the first round you try to recover you need to roll a 4, but if you fail, the next round you only need to roll a 3, then a 2, and then on the following round you automatically re-prime your abilities.

EDIT: That would allow you to introduce really powerful abilities with an automatically delayed recovery rate, by giving them only a d3 recovery die. So you definitely won't recover the next round, but you might do so the following round.
Yep its a cool concept. I had something similar but not exactly what you describe, and the concept of allowing the d3 makes it even better. So I'll add that back in.

Like most things this system would not be for everyone, but lets look at how often you would normally get abilities.

If we look at the battlemaster, and lets assume d6 is the normal recharge die. Then lets assume two 3 round combats before a short rest.

This means on average I will have 2 maneuvers a fight, so 4 maneuvers total (which perfectly works with the 4 uses of the battle master normally). This version is swingier, sometimes you will have less maneuvers, sometimes you will have more, but its in the ballpark. Some tables might enjoy the swing and the reduction in tracking, others may like the standard which is more consistent.

If your group only have 1 combat per short rest, you probably prefer vanilla. If you average 3 combats before a rest, then this system would generally give you more.

Horwath

Legend
If I understand it correctly it is on die. You use Commander's Strike and then you must recharge all your maneuvers. Because you used CS, you need to roll a d4 to recharge and your maneuvers only recharge (all of them) when you roll a 4. You only switch recharge dice when you choose a different maneuver. So you once you roll a 4 and can use maneuvers again and this time you choose Disarm. Now you roll a d8 until your recharge again (also by rolling a 4). You are only ever dealing with on die at a time.
What if one maneuver has d4, second d6 and a third one d8, as in they are different in power so they cannot be used at the same frequency?

Remove ads