• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mass Effect - "the" Xbox360 title to get

Steel_Wind

Legend
Most of the guys who worked with us at DLA and left for BioWare have worked as developers on the core team for Mass Effect.

Their own reports on the game - namely, that they have played it through this past month and are loving it - has me hugely excited about this game.

If you think they are being "well of course" about it. No. In fact, the rule in the game dev business is that by this time in a dev cycle, you are bloody sick to death of a game. And believe me, most Bio employees I know can't stand any damn game they worked on by this point in the dev cycle. They just want to move on.

But not this time.

Even without this inside hype, this was one of my two most anticipated title of the year, hands down. Along with The Witcher this is on my must have list for 2007.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mass Effect looks like the kind of game I could really get behind... if only I owned an xBox!

I don't imagine it will ever be available for the PC, but I suppose I can hope... :)

EDIT: to clarify... this isn't a moaning post about it not being on the PC. This is a "Wow, that looks brilliant, I wish I could afford an xbox" post

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
TwistedBishop: You kill me, man. You kill me.

PS: I hear you. I imagine that there'll be a PC version someday, just like there was for Jade Empire. I just hope it isn't too late, that the field hasn't moved on to newer tech by the time it rolls around (as, arguably, it did with Jade).

The only reason I got a 360 was to be able to play a game with my name in the credits. :) Although, to be fair, I'm getting some quality BioShock time while waiting.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
EDIT: to clarify... this isn't a moaning post about it not being on the PC. This is a "Wow, that looks brilliant, I wish I could afford an xbox" post

I see ad's all the time on the internet saying you can get a free xbox 360, so I must assume you're just being lazy! :)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
takyris said:
It's in, but "it" doesn't do a whole lot that hasn't been done before. Say somebody is giving a line, and at the end of the line, you have the usual range of responses. You now have two ways to handle that:

1) The normal way, which means that even if you hit the choice while the speaker is still talking, your character will wait until the speaker is finished, and then respond immediately (for a cinematic feel).

2) The interruption way, which means that you cut the speaker off in the middle of their line with your own line.

They don't react to it. They don't notice it. It's not a tracked variable. I, frankly, don't know why that was listed as a cool feature, ever. Maybe it was on the to-do list, and then they realized that they'd bitten off a big bunch of work with the new dialog system all by itself, and adding interrupts (that NPCs notice and care about) was a big enough layer of complexity that it was cut. Maybe someone in marketing misread a feature and stated as fact something that was never intended. I have no idea.

Regardless, there you go. You can interrupt, but it doesn't mean anything. It might feel cool, but it's not going to be tracked as something you did in the game.

Too bad no one has made a game where you can interrupt a NPC's dialogue with a bullet or crossbow bolt. :) That would be a great way to stop a BBEG's monologue.

takyris

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
Too bad no one has made a game where you can interrupt a NPC's dialogue with a bullet or crossbow bolt. :) That would be a great way to stop a BBEG's monologue.

Oh, you can do that. :) There are at least a couple of places where "Shoot him" is a dialog option, and you can most definitely cut off some annoying ranting with a bullet to the face.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I was astounded by the look and feel of the character creation screen, and the short dialog scene that followed on Game Trailers. I'm very excited for this game. Not sure that I'll be able to scrape any money together for an XBox, but I'm going to try.

SubMensa

First Post
takyris said:
Oh, you can do that. :) There are at least a couple of places where "Shoot him" is a dialog option, and you can most definitely cut off some annoying ranting with a bullet to the face.

This game just went from my Must Have list to my Really Really Must Have list. I can't count the number of times I wanted to just shoot the windbag who just wouldn't shut up about their plan.

Remove ads