Mass Effect - "the" Xbox360 title to get

Felon

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Actually, there are. Its a bit indirect, though.

The Ally and Completionist Achievements require you to complete a certain number of quests. I believe its roughly 15 Story Missions and 45 Side Missions.

Well, the Ally achievements sound like they involve way too much effort (I'm not one of those folks who see so much replay value in ME that they'll play an ally for an entire game just to get a bonus on the playthrough). I got the Completionist achievement towards the end of Feros.

The one thing I seem to have missed the boat is the romance achievement. Since I'm on my way to Ilos now, I get the feeling I somehow screwed the pooch....or failed to screw it, so to speak.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Felon said:
The one thing I seem to have missed the boat is the romance achievement. Since I'm on my way to Ilos now, I get the feeling I somehow screwed the pooch....or failed to screw it, so to speak.
Getting to the Ilos system isn't enough... the final stage triggers when you try to land on it. If you're on the dead world and nothing special happened first, you missed it.

Felon

First Post
stonegod said:
Getting to the Ilos system isn't enough... the final stage triggers when you try to land on it. If you're on the dead world and nothing special happened first, you missed it.
Thanks, was holding off for the DLC. Maybe I will finish and restart so I can get to the point where I'm at the galaxy map.

Arnwyn

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I'm just wondering if there is any general dissatisfaction with this decision.
Yes, that sounds like something I would have expected.

Glad I haven't started playing it yet (and likely won't for quite some time) - I like getting all the DLC up front and then playing through the game.

Enforcer

Explorer
That's no different from say, the Yavin Space Station for Knights of the Old Republic or even Durlag's Tower for Baldur's Gate. Both expansion/downloadable features were only available after you left the starting area, requiring the completion of the story up to that point.

Felon

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Not really. Because there's only like 6 different maps for the sidequests, they get old real quick.
Even referring to them as "maps" is kinda deceptive, since there's a connotation of complexity that doesn't exist here. I mean, a warehouse isn't much of a map, y'know? It's just one big room where you sit at the entrance at kill everyone dumb enough to come out from behind cover.

Comparing ME side quests to Oblivion side quests is almost a crime. Really not much comparison.

Goose

First Post
I finished the game. I enjoyed the story, but that was about it. Character interaction was really almost non-existant. The only time you really got to know your guys at all is if you went around the ship in between planets and said, "hi". Really nothing beyond that. I didnt notice any difference in peoples reactions to me based on being paragon or renegade. It never really seemed to matter. Overall i felt the game was a let down and the high reviews it got really werent justified.

First, it was relatively short, unless you went around repeating the same side missions on all the different planets. Honestly there was very little difference between the planents other than the color of the ground.

Second, you didnt seem to have any effect on your companions, you couldnt sway them on anything, they rarely actually had any input or opinions on a situation. Overall they had just a few things to say and that was it. Even the companions side storys were really boring and didnt really seem to develop the characters all that much. The romances felt rushed and completely out of place.

Third, The ability to truely feel good or evil, honestly there wasnt much difference in how you decided to go. I understand they werent going for a good/evil, but some kind of choices that would have changed the outcome of the game woulda been a welcome idea.

Now dont get me wrong, overall i enjoyed my play through, but i dont think it was deserving of all the praise it was getting. Kind of like how i felt about Fable, with just a few more hours of play tacked on to the end.

I guess part of my problem is i went in hoping for a KotOR type story/character interaction and it simply wasnt there. Im not a huge star wars fan, but i managed to play both of them about 4 times a piece, because things actually felt different on some of the play throughs, i didnt get that with ME.

Arnwyn

First Post
Felon said:
Btw, hope that all Mass Effect fans are keeping an eye on the development of Too Human--which will likely blow away ME's gameplay and character development.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/928546/6186635/too-human-gdc-2008-demo
Has it gotten better? It's had an extremely troubled development, and it's last public showing (before this year's GDC at least) was tremendously disappointing.

I sure hope they surprise me, because right now I'm likely to ignore it. I'm glad you seem optimistic, though (overly, IMO! ;) ).

Remove ads