• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mass Teleportation

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
RangerWickett posted a Quick epic magic question - mass teleportation over in the Rules forum.

RangerWickett said:
Please help me stat out this spell effect:

I want to be able to teleport any number of creatures that are within 1 mile of me, to any location where it is daytime. This spell can only be cast when it is daytime, and when you are outdoors.
The area looks like it will need to be an aggregate spell involving the [weather] seed. How do aggregates work, again?

[edit] Upon reflection, I think that changing range: touch to "everybody in range" should cost double the range factor (+8 if it is selective). There are some nifty spells in recent supplements that work at range, so I don't think there would be any special premium, at least up to long range (1200 ft.) which costs +10SP. Extreme range (4800 ft. - about a mile) would be one step up, but I'd price it as another +4SP. Double is +28 SP. Assuming greater teleport is the base spell, 7th level = 42 SP, it should be a kernel 70 spell. Oh, minus a little because of the outside/daylight thing. Maybe 66. That's an 17th level spell according the SL = 6 + SP/6 rule, which is DC 100, according to the ELH rule of SL = 7 + DC/10.

Actually, greater teleport *isn't* the base spell, because it only works on willing creatures. A version of the spell (range touch, affects one creature, will negates) would be 7th- this "teleport creature" would be the base spell.

Hmmm. This adding +28 is numerically very similar to adding a seed, as if by an aggregate. If the base spell were long range, I would only add +20; again, very close to 24.

[edit2] Actually, this profligate use of exponential factors screams "unbalanced". According to this reasoning I could finger of death everyone in a mile radius. Extending the exponential range factors (at +4 per step, or +8 when doubled to affect everyone) I could slay everyone in the world (or at least within 10,000 miles of me) for 96 SP.

Maybe this is the basis for Jadis's deplorable word. Or she might have used an epic version of blasphemy that kills everyone but the speaker, no matter their alignment. Probably acquired via a feat (-40 mitigation) and there may be a built-in limitation that the spell could only be uttered once. (If it kills everyone in the world, why bother doing it twice? It's still a severe limitation; at least -8, maybe -12). I wonder what level Jadis the White Witch is. As Queen of Charn she would be pretty high level, I'd expect. But if she has 52 points of mitigation, she could probably burn 5000 xp to get another 20, and be able to utter a deplorable word while being low epic.

I'm getting side-tracked. Spells that affect a world probably can't be balanced in the system we have right now. Exponential factors can't be treated so casually. Maybe a mile radius is alright, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads