Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World

reapersaurus

First Post
Anyone even HEARD about this film?
I idly opened up the Demo Disk I got with the Daredevil DVD, and I noticed that all the films on it (X2, Down With Love, LXG) had long since come out, but no sign of Master & Commander, a period battle at sea movie starring Russell Crowe, and directed by Peter Weir.

I went to the web site and noticed it's coming out in less than a month!
And I have not seen or heard one thing about it - no movie posters, no internet buzz, nothing.
Am I missing something here?
I think it's awfully strange for a large-budget, "true-to-history" sea battle movie to be flying so far under the radar.

I wonder if the release date was pushed back because of the success of Pirates of the Carribean? I can easily see how its success could bite into the desire for moviegoers to see another sea picture so soon.

But this one seems VERY historically based. It doesn't seem like a big bombastic adventure movie like PotC was, for better or worse.
For anyone who likes 7th Sea, or sailing in large frigates on an open sea, with broadside cannons blazing, it seems like a real winner from the little I've seen.
800x600_final2.jpg

Berandor

lunatic
It's a movie version of the books by Patrick McNee (sp?).
It sort of meshes the first and tenth book together, AFAIK. However, the book's American villain is changed into a French :D

I bought the first book of the series after hearing about the film - it's a good read, I must say, and seeing as it as a film by Peter Weir (Truman Show, Dead Poet's Society), I am really looking forward to it!

Even though Russel Crowe might be a little too fit, physically, for Jack Aubrey :)

Null Boundry

First Post
Berandor said:
It's a movie version of the books by Patrick McNee (sp?).
It sort of meshes the first and tenth book together, AFAIK. However, the book's American villain is changed into a French :D

I bought the first book of the series after hearing about the film - it's a good read, I must say, and seeing as it as a film by Peter Weir (Truman Show, Dead Poet's Society), I am really looking forward to it!

Even though Russel Crowe might be a little too fit, physically, for Jack Aubrey :)

I thought it was a Patrick O'Brian novel. If so the bad guys were always French and Spanish and the author basically pinched the life of Thomas Cochrane the Sea Wolf. One of the best naval commander England has ever produced (arguably better than with Nelson).

I've only seen one trailer and one small poster for it, it probably did get sidelined because of PotC.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I saw the trailer for this in theaters back when "Daredevil" came out, and have seen it several times since. It's one of Miramax's big Oscar contenders -- that's why they've waited until so late in the year to release it.

John Crichton

First Post
I saw an ad for it on TV watching SportsCenter on ESPN last night. I've seen a few online bits about it, mostly because I look for these kinds of things. Very low on the radar, for sure.

WizarDru

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
Anyone even HEARD about this film?
I idly opened up the Demo Disk I got with the Daredevil DVD, and I noticed that all the films on it (X2, Down With Love, LXG) had long since come out, but no sign of Master & Commander, a period battle at sea movie starring Russell Crowe, and directed by Peter Weir.
That says more about the age of the disc you got than it does the movie. We got the demo disc that came with Matrix: Reloaded and it's right on there. Trailers have been on Apple's site since the early summer, when I first saw them....although the proper trailers of substance were later in coming.

Remove ads