D&D 5E Material components

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think the addition of a "spell component pouch" in the equipment section kind of encourages people to basically ignore the rule. You just buy that pouch, and you're golden for the rest of the campaign. Unless it's stolen, I guess.

Which, I think is mostly OK. Some components are rather cumbersome and annoying (hearts of hens, anyone?). I used to play DDO, and in that game most people carried stacks of 999 of these components (There was only 1 type per level), and I remember thinking to myself, "I literally have almost a thousand hearts of hens on my person right now. How is that even possible?!?"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the addition of a "spell component pouch" in the equipment section kind of encourages people to basically ignore the rule. You just buy that pouch, and you're golden for the rest of the campaign. Unless it's stolen, I guess.
You don’t even need a component pouch, since spellcasting foci also replacrvthe need for material components and are generally both cheaper and weigh less than component pouches.

That’s always bugged me. I would really like there to be some reason to choose a particular spellcasting focus over another, or to choose a component pouch instead. As it stands, they’re all functionally identical (except the “emblem” holy symbol which frees up a hand if you put it on your shield) except for cost and weight. The only reason to choose a heavier or more expensive focus is for flavor, and I am not a fan of flavor taxes.

R_J_K75

Legend
There are several scenarios that become unplayable without them, mostly the "captured" and "survival" types, where the party is supposed to be with limited resources. If you allow the casters to ignore material components you may as well allow the martial characters to ignore the need for weapons and armor in these scenarios too.
I cant remember what edition it was in but didnt a wizard/magic user/mage lose all memorized spells if they were knocked unconscious? I seem to remember playing a wizard, being capture and in a cell and couldnt just escape because I had no spells.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Which, I think is mostly OK. Some components are rather cumbersome and annoying (hearts of hens, anyone?). I used to play DDO, and in that game most people carried stacks of 999 of these components (There was only 1 type per level), and I remember thinking to myself, "I literally have almost a thousand hearts of hens on my person right now. How is that even possible?!?"
The same way that fighters in 1e and 2e were often walking around with a long sword, a two-handed sword, a dagger, a mace, a morning star, a spear and a bow. :LOL:

ccs

41st lv DM

You think that's silly? I played one of the Star Wars games where I literally pulled an AT-ST out of my pack....

jasper

Rotten DM
Given as the assumption is you're crawling around in dusty old dungeons, finding a spider when you need one should be the least of your worries... :)
DArn IT DM! Do you know how hard it is to find a humanoid to eat when I want to cast "Surf Internet" Said Charolette.

Horwath

Legend
If your spell component pouch/focus is not stolen/destroyed you are considered to have all mundane material components.
If you are grappled/pinned you may not be able to access material or somatic components.

We track costly components 1GP per cast or more.

Fenris447

Explorer
I play it by the book; component pouches or arcane/holy/druidic foci take care of most components. But any components that have a written cost in gold, are consumed, or both, must be acquired to cast the spell. If you don't have the pouch or focus, you can't cast spells that would otherwise require them.

Remove ads