D&D General Matt Colville on adventure length

mamba

Legend
Selling one 300-page book for $60.00 is less cost intensive to create than selling ten 30-page books for $15 each.
I mean at first glance they should cost about the same to create. As they have the same number of pages, they should need the same amount of art and design / writing effort. Even the big books are created by a team working on different parts anyway. The difference is that in one case you pay $60 and in the other $150 for essentially the same content, that to me is why we have the former, not the latter

Staffan

Legend
I mean at first glance they should cost about the same to create. As they have the same number of pages, they should need the same amount of art and design / writing effort. Even the big books are created by a team working on different parts anyway. The difference is that in one case you pay $60 and in the other $150 for essentially the same content, that to me is why we have the former, not the latter
More or less, though the larger work probably allows more stuff to be reused. For example, if the main opponent is some sort of organization, you only need to work out the organization once – maybe with some extra work for different levels of the org, but the background work remains the same. But that's fairly marginal – the main difference is that the smaller works probably sell much fewer copies, so the writing/printing costs don't get spread out as much.

Zardnaar

Legend
I prefer short but like both.

If the economics don't stack up though......

DMs guild is available. Prefer black and white for printing.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Which direction did you find the link to be, though?

Because I have seen a link here too, but the link I've seen is that players who don't care if their character dies at all, in a modern D&D game (rather than an OSR like DCC),
I treat modern and old-school play as being the same in this respect.
are usually problem players, because they:

A) Tend not to roleplay, and tend to metagame very heavily.

B) Don't play well with players who do RP, or don't metagame, even pulling faces or the like.

C) They are by far the most likely players to engage "outright dumb[expletive]ery", like murdering NPCs, stealing for no good reason, backstabbing the party (usually also for no reason, playing "Chaotic Stupid" and "Lawful Stupid" characters.

D) They're also weirdly a lot more likely to be pulling their phone out and messing around on it - even watching videos and trying to show them to others - I think because they're kind of stimulation-seeking or something.

E) Absolutely the most likely to argue pointless rules with me as the DM. Maybe not ones about whether they die or not, but definitely ones that nobody needs to argue about.

If I'd only seen one guy like this, I'd put it down to "that guy" but I've seen multiple.
In sequence:

A: metagaming can be managed out easily enough: the door is that way. Willingness to roleplay seems unrelated; the variance in such is roughly similar among all.

B: haven't seen this often.

C: as both DM and player I'm fine with those things, and consider them part of the game.

D: someone pulling out a phone when not involved in the current play is fine; if they use it to distract others or it causes them to lose track of what's going on, down comes the hammer. Players have to have something electronic at the table in my game as many of our rules and all our spells are online.

E: maybe, but IME it's most prevalent when relating to their own characters.
Also, hard against any suggestion that players who care are a problem, I've played with two players who burst into tears when their character got killed (as adults!), and both of them are actually really good players in pretty much all levels - reliable, cooperative with the party, thoughtful, good RPers, don't
Good players they may be, but IMO that's a borderline unhealthy level of connection with one's character.
This is very specific though - it's not the case, for example with CoC. With CoC, what I've seen is far less of a link, basically none - I've seen players who would pretty much be in tears if their PC died in D&D or a similar game, who are absolutely fine, even think it's a little funny if it's CoC, because with CoC, that's part of what you signed up for. With modern D&D, it isn't.
That's the very problem I'm trying to solve, here. Modern D&D has lost a great deal, without replacing it, by becoming so easy on its players.
You say "inevitable churn and character turnover", but that's simply not "a thing" in 5E RAW/RAI. It's not a game where that's inevitable or even particularly likely.
I've heard this, and yet have also heard many say that low-level 5e is (or can be) a meat grinder.

But, given how widely different DMs can be in how they run their games, I suppose both you and they are in a way correct.
Nor does 5E offer any particular support for that play-mode. On the contrary in fact, I'd say 5E was a little too rules-heavy really work well for that. You want something with fewer choices and less conceptual investment. I'd actually say all versions of D&D from 2E onwards are bad vehicles for "low-level churn". There's just too much effort and specificity in designing a character.
One of the main things I dislike about all three WotC editions is the over-complexity of char-gen.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You're making a huge and bizarre assumption that the group in general will be excited about having essentially wasted several hours creating PCs who are all now dead, and doing an adventure that they definitely aren't going to finish. Doesn't make sense.
If they had fun in the moments of the char-gen process and the play as long as it lasted, the time wasn't wasted.

Did I waste my time playing the last character I ran in the rogue-like computer game I play? Not at all. Even though it died (and they all do, I've yet to beat the game) I still had fun keeping it going as long as it did, and thus the time wasn't* wasted.

* - in my view; those who think I should be doing something more productive might see it differently. :)
That's not just a "hot take", that's judgmental in quite a knee-jerk way, flatly insulting to a lot of people here reading it, and shows an apparent serious lack of broad experience of different players/groups/games on your part.

You're showing what looks very much like a lack of real/broad experience here, presumably because you're quickly pushing people out of your group if they don't respond super-positively having their PCs killed. You pretty much directly say that with "had". You're selecting hard for players who love to die,
Not quite. I'm "selecting hard" for players who are willing and able to accept the losses with the wins.
which is preventing you from seeing players who don't, but are also good players - instead you're only left with people who hate dying, but who think "bad RPG sessions are better than no RPG sessions", which is not great, and who generally aren't a lot of fun to play with.

You're also conflating setbacks, and your losing your PC and all the emotional investment, actual effort involved in creating them and so on, and that's flatly nonsensical.
A setback is a setback. The difference is that an in-character setback stays in character and can be dealt with there, while losing a character outright is a setback at the table level.
It's just not the same thing. In reality, many players who love their PCs, love setbacks. To the point where entire games basically use this as a major mechanic - Chronicles of Darkness (i.e. the nWoD) is essentially designed around this - the chances of losing your character without something wild happening are close to nil (not like Russian Roulette like some OSRs or early D&D). The chances of setbacks? Basically 100%, and some of them are going to be absolute whoppers.

If players operated like you say, neither the oWoD, nor the nWoD would have been at all successful, nor would many other RPGs. But they were successful, which frankly, immediately disproves your theory.

Even on a more straightforward level, a lot of players who care about their characters will to huge lengths to keep going - they won't get upset by "setbacks" - on the contrary, those motivate them to find ways around them so they can keep playing their character and keep their character alive.
This last I assume for all. Sometimes, though, your efforts to keep said character alive are going to fail no matter what you do; dice can be nasty things.
There are players who give up at setbacks or get excessively upset by them - they're usually just people aren't having any fun generally - usually due to a DM/player, game/player or player/group mismatch*.
Someone giving up or getting excessively upset by setbacks, where setbacks are a known part of the game, can't IMO look anywhere but the mirror to sort it.
If you see players giving up, and you immediately paint "BAD PEOPLE" or "BAD PLAYERS" on them, as you're claiming you do, without thinking more carefully about the causes, well, that's your choice, but it doesn't mean you're right. My experience is that if people are giving up at just setbacks, you probably need to change something up.
Yes, in that case I do need to change something up: the players at the table.
That can mean that the player is just not going to be a good fit, sure. It does not mean they are a bad person (all the worst people I've ever played with weren't giver-uppers, they were game-wreckers).
I can handle a game-wrecker far more easily than a tantrum-thrower (I've had one or two of these).
But it can also mean that maybe that adventure is really boring. Maybe this game system isn't really working out. Maybe this person is generally unhappy with their character.
True, some adventures don't work out; often enough the players will let me know out-of-character, and I'm glad they do. If someone's unhappy with their character they're always free to retire it and bang out something new - I encourage my players to have a stable of characters in the setting, so if they get bored playing one they can - at the next reasonable in-game opportunity - cycle in another.
I mean the latter is surprisingly common in my experience - I had one of my players is the main group who was really having problems with setbacks the party was facing, and just seemed frustrated, and we talked - and figured out he should play a different character for a while, and then he had a great time (and even eventually went back to the first character!).
Fair enough.
* = There is another group which is "literally children" (including teenagers) who it's very much down to a personality/emotional development/home life/hormones and so on. Kids who couldn't handle a PC dying on a Tuesday might well be able to on Tuesday next week because they're in a different mood etc. but I'm largely excluding them because that's whole other discussion.
Indeed; and I haven't DMed anyone under 20 in a very long time. That said, college-age players can be the best in that their play often boils down to high intelligence, low wisdom. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That’s part of why he’s suggesting campaigns be made of smaller, self-contained adventures, yes. Not only does that give you better stopping points, but it also makes you want to keep playing, because the satisfying feeling you get from completing an adventure makes you want to play another. Getting that feeling many times over the course of a campaign is going to lead to less burnout and more campaign longevity than you get from a single epic-length adventure.
Also, once you've finished a single epic-length adventure and everything's already dialled to eleven, where do you go from there?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I treat modern and old-school play as being the same in this respect.

In sequence:

A: metagaming can be managed out easily enough: the door is that way. Willingness to roleplay seems unrelated; the variance in such is roughly similar among all.

B: haven't seen this often.

C: as both DM and player I'm fine with those things, and consider them part of the game.

D: someone pulling out a phone when not involved in the current play is fine; if they use it to distract others or it causes them to lose track of what's going on, down comes the hammer. Players have to have something electronic at the table in my game as many of our rules and all our spells are online.

E: maybe, but IME it's most prevalent when relating to their own characters.

Good players they may be, but IMO that's a borderline unhealthy level of connection with one's character.

That's the very problem I'm trying to solve, here. Modern D&D has lost a great deal, without replacing it, by becoming so easy on its players.

I've heard this, and yet have also heard many say that low-level 5e is (or can be) a meat grinder.

But, given how widely different DMs can be in how they run their games, I suppose both you and they are in a way correct.

One of the main things I dislike about all three WotC editions is the over-complexity of char-gen.
If I like the character I’m playing, if I’m not worn out or exhausted, if it’s not late in the session and we’re dragging, I’ll RP the hell out of my character. But I’m not an actor. I don’t play RPGs to hone my acting or voice acting skills. I’m also not a fan of others treating game night as if it’s community theater or an audition.

I don’t care if any of the characters die. It’s a game with dice where death is on the line. You’re playing an adventurer fighting monsters and hunting treasure. Death is always an option. As you say, getting upset about a character dying is a sign of being overly attached to a game piece. It well-designed game character creation is dead simple and takes a few minutes at most. If character creation is complex, have a backup character ready. Level them up as your main levels.

I despise meta-gaming but will deal with it to a point to keep the game going. Like you, I’d rather boot people than deal with serious meta-gaming.

And I’m good with phones at the table. As someone with ADHD, my options are dive into my phone, while keeping an ear out for what’s happening at the table, or disrupting the table. Me diving into my phone is a courtesy to the rest of the group.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If they had fun in the moments of the char-gen process and the play as long as it lasted, the time wasn't wasted.

Did I waste my time playing the last character I ran in the rogue-like computer game I play? Not at all. Even though it died (and they all do, I've yet to beat the game) I still had fun keeping it going as long as it did, and thus the time wasn't* wasted.

* - in my view; those who think I should be doing something more productive might see it differently.
Exactly. The fun you had does not vanish if the character dies. It’s just over. Now it’s time for a new character and a new bit of fun.
Not quite. I'm "selecting hard" for players who are willing and able to accept the losses with the wins.

A setback is a setback. The difference is that an in-character setback stays in character and can be dealt with there, while losing a character outright is a setback at the table level.

This last I assume for all. Sometimes, though, your efforts to keep said character alive are going to fail no matter what you do; dice can be nasty things.

Someone giving up or getting excessively upset by setbacks, where setbacks are a known part of the game, can't IMO look anywhere but the mirror to sort it.

Yes, in that case I do need to change something up: the players at the table.
So much this.

It’s a game of wins and losses. Not just wins. If you can’t handle the losses, you don’t deserve the wins.

Remove ads