D&D 5E Matt Mercer Just Changed My Mind About Multiclassing

Re-read it. He says that in his 5 years, wizards and specifically bladesingers are the only class that he has played past level 4 without multiclassing. He is talking about the entire class there, not specific characters. Then he mentioned a specific bladesinger he has multiclassed with that is past level 4. That's contradictory.
No. That is just an inclusion.
He has played many classes. He always multiclassed them if he played them beyond 4th level. The only class where he did not necessarily do so was the wizard.
That does not mean he didn't have a wizard that also multiclassed.

But you can also read it your way.

But even if you read it your way, it is possible that he played the wizard up to 6th level without multiclassing and then multiclassed...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It’s a back and forth in a thread currently. Players declaring checks seems to be the new Warlord.
I don't think it's the new Warlord, I think it's the same old argument we had in 3E, with Spot vs. Search, or Acrobatics vs. Jump.

Player: I'd like to roll Investigation on the door.
DM: Your character produces a pet gerbil from his pocket, names it Investigation, and then rolls it gently upon the door. The gerbil is confused.
Player: Knock it off, you know what I meant! I want my character to search the door for traps!
DM: That's all you had to say. Give me a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Player: (profanity)

Seems like nowadays, it's always because of confusion between Investigation and Perception, and between Athletics and Acrobatics. Unfortunately these are the staple skills of the Core Four classes (Wizards, Clerics, Fighters, and Rogues, respectively) so the argument comes up a lot.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think it's the new Warlord, I think it's the same old argument we had in 3E, with Spot vs. Search, or Acrobatics vs. Jump.

DM: Your character produces a pet gerbil from his pocket, names it Investigation, and then rolls it gently upon the door. The gerbil is confused.
Player: Knock it off, you know what I meant! I want my character to search the door for traps!

Seems like nowadays, it's always because of confusion between Investigation and Perception, and between Athletics and Acrobatics. Unfortunately these are the staple skills of the Core Four classes (Wizards, Clerics, Fighters, and Rogues, respectively) so the argument comes up a lot.
My players went the other way. They get confused over the investigation/perception issue, but at this point they just shrug and roll whatever I ask them to. :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Sure. My point was it’s a hot button issue.
Yes, that straw DM is indeed being pedantic for no good reason. Of course, DMs who prefer players describe their characters’ actions don’t do that, and have good reasons for what we actually do.
I prefer to sidestep that confusion by calling for ability checks and letting the player add their proficiency bonus if they think one of their proficiencies is relevant.

ECMO3

Hero
Re-read it. He says that in his 5 years, wizards and specifically bladesingers are the only class that he has played past level 4 without multiclassing. He is talking about the entire class there, not specific characters. Then he mentioned a specific bladesinger he has multiclassed with that is past level 4. That's contradictory.
No it is not. To clarify:

Single class characters I have played beyond level 4:

1. I played Atelia, sister to the legendary Afelia (another player's former PC Bladesinger) to level 15 as a single class Bladesinger. Afelia as an aside was the most powerful character I have ever seen at my tables.
2. I am currently playing Naldeen an 11th level single class bladesinger.
3. I briefly played Tinta, a bladesinger to level 3, although that would not really count because she was only level 3, but I intended for her to be a single class.

#1 and #2 are the only two characters I personally have played beyond level 4 that did not multiclass prior to level 4.

Multiclass bladesingers I have played:

1. I am currently playing Taslania, the Rogue/Wizard mentioned. She started as a Rogue level 1, then she took 2 levels in Wizard (Bladesinger), followed by 3 levels in Rogue (Arcane Trickster 4) followed by 4 levels in Bladesinger to get where she is now. She was multiclassed at 2nd level.
2. I played Namia a Gloomstalker-Bladesinger (4/6) who started as a Ranger level 1, multiclassed and took 2 levels in Wizard (Bladesinger). Then three levels in Ranger to 4 (Gloomstalker), then I think 4 levels in Bladesinger to level 6, which is where she was when we stopped playing. She too multiclassed at 2nd level. I am not 100% positive about her, but I think that was the breakdown.
3. I played Ryn who started as a Monk, multiclassed to Wizard at level 2 (1/1) and then died. She was expected to become a Monk/Bladesinger at level 3 if she survived.

I have played many more multiclass characters, mostly Rogues of some sort but those Bladesingers at the top (or almost Bladesingers) I have played are the only characters I did not multiclass.

Remove ads